What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and picked a load of local wild hops this morning for a wet hop ale.

Now heating up my water to mash in.
16945096595521633925214275168399.jpg
16945097069177169341714187696745.jpg

Well today was my first time brewing in over a year. (Back problems 🙄) I done a simply lager with Saaz and used lutra yeast. This was the stuff I had in the freezer.

It would appear this has spurred me on to start brewing more, I’m currently in the process of doing a build for a DIPA.

👍

Today I brewed a milk stout. First brew in nearly 4 years. I forgot how my grainfather worked so it took twice as long as it should have.

Well today was my first time brewing in over a year. (Back problems 🙄) I done a simply lager with Saaz and used lutra yeast. This was the stuff I had in the freezer.

It would appear this has spurred me on to start brewing more, I’m currently in the process of doing a build for a DIPA.

👍

Hope you're over your troubles. And good to have you back on the horse.

Not entirely sure what to call this, Brewfather says it's within the APA category so I'll go with that:

Mainly Crisp Chevalier with a bit of Caragold and light spraymalt. Summit for bittering and Lorien for flavour/aroma and Kveik Hornindal yeast.

My second go at water chemistry, first ever time using Kveik and I even upgraded my old portable hob to a fancy induction one that heats up way faster.

I couldn't figure out why I suddenly dropped twelve percent on Brewhouse efficiency, although I had an inkling when my digital thermometer starting going haywire.

It turns out that some induction hobs can wreak havoc with electronic thermometers due to the magnetism. Not a total fail, just means the strike temp was off by a bit so I'll end up with a weaker beer than intended. Oh well, next time will be better!

Made a pumpkin spiced stout a couple of weeks back, it's been a while since I brewed but it mostly went well apart from the obligatory leaving open of a tap along the way.

It's now carbing in the keg but couldn't wait so had a taster yesterday and it's very nice indeed.

Now wondering if I can squeeze in a toffee apple ale in so it's ready for bonfire night.

Not entirely sure what to call this, Brewfather says it's within the APA category so I'll go with that:

Mainly Crisp Chevalier with a bit of Caragold and light spraymalt. Summit for bittering and Lorien for flavour/aroma and Kveik Hornindal yeast.

My second go at water chemistry, first ever time using Kveik and I even upgraded my old portable hob to a fancy induction one that heats up way faster.

I couldn't figure out why I suddenly dropped twelve percent on Brewhouse efficiency, although I had an inkling when my digital thermometer starting going haywire.

It turns out that some induction hobs can wreak havoc with electronic thermometers due to the magnetism. Not a total fail, just means the strike temp was off by a bit so I'll end up with a weaker beer than intended. Oh well, next time will be better!
Which induction hob did you get ? Is your pot 'designed' for induction or just steel ? I've been contemplating one.

Which induction hob did you get ? Is your pot 'designed' for induction or just steel ? I've been contemplating one.
It's this one:
https://amzn.eu/d/ftUPU4v
I've used it a few times now and I'm really happy with it, the stockpot I'm using for mashing/boiling is just a basic cheapo steel one, not specifically made for induction.

It did take a bit of getting used to but it's really efficient, using this instead of my old one (a very basic electric hotplate) has shaved about an hour off my brewdays.

Been making a few batches of water kefir, a blend of yeast and bacteria fermented in very weak sugar solution
(around 2% abv).
A very pleasant probiotic tonic which is great for gut health and boosting auto-immunity.

It's this one:
https://amzn.eu/d/ftUPU4v
I've used it a few times now and I'm really happy with it, the stockpot I'm using for mashing/boiling is just a basic cheapo steel one, not specifically made for induction.

It did take a bit of getting used to but it's really efficient, using this instead of my old one (a very basic electric hotplate) has shaved about an hour off my brewdays.
Looks good. I'm starting to worry about using my camping gas stove as under the prolonged use of a boil the canister gets really cold which reduces the flow. It also shrinks the o-ring that seals it so if I want to change the canister (for a warm one that will burn better) it doesn't seal well unless I fiddle with it.

What size pots are you using ? I see this has a 26cm base, my smallest pot has 28.

What size pots are you using ? I see this has a 26cm base, my smallest pot has 28.
I think the base of my main pot is about 24cm but there seems to be a fair bit of room around it, I can't see a 28cm pot having any issues on there.

A beer I've called summer gold. As it's warmer today than many days over 'summer' so I thought why not. Made some in-flight changes - the aurora hops I was using were past their best so I chucked in the rest of the bag and a handful of fresher ones. Also decided to whirlpool some strata hops in as I'd never whirlpooled before. Now no-chilling, then pitch in some Notty in the morning.

Back