What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After brewing a Vienna Pale yesterday I found myself with an unexpected free afternoon.
Took the opportunity for a small batch SMaSH. Pale Malt with Fuggles and CML Midland yeast.

OG a bit higher than I wanted at 1.050, so, whisper it quietly, may dilute this a little post fermentation to gain a couple extra bottles.

Anyone other heathens have experience diluting post fermentation?

After brewing a Vienna Pale yesterday I found myself with an unexpected free afternoon.
Took the opportunity for a small batch SMaSH. Pale Malt with Fuggles and CML Midland yeast.

OG a bit higher than I wanted at 1.050, so, whisper it quietly, may dilute this a little post fermentation to gain a couple extra bottles.

Anyone other heathens have experience diluting post fermentation?
Personal I would dilute it before fermentation

BTW, when I do chill I've switched to in at the top of the coil and out at the bottom so its cooling from the top and I think it cools faster. My theory is that when you cool from the bottom you get a gradient from cold at the bottom of the kettle to warm at the top and it just sits there whereas if you cool from the top the colder wort at the top will drop down pushing the warm wort up where it cools. Like little thermals. Probably not happening at all in reality but I'm going to stick with it 🧐.

There is an efficient temp set for chillers. You need the biggest difference to get the best cooling. Always connect the in to the coolest. So that out in near the hottest. Google "liebig condenser"

In beer, in the wrong shape vessel, with basic immersion coils it probably makes little difference. But running a circ pump certainly has more effect. It's a contact thing.

New Zealand Pale assisted by my daughter's BF. He seemed to enjoy the process but I think a bit overwhelmed by the process and detail of AG. The pre-boil gravity was a weedy 1.027, not sure why :confused.: . Will check in the morning and possibly reach for the old Tate and Lyle.

I was thinking I should show him the other end of the complexity spectrum and show him what its like with a kit. Going to check for recommendations on here for a good kit.

Forgot to take pictures again 😠. Going to stick a sign up in the brew shed to remind me.

@matt76 's Mustang American Amber Ale. My pre-boil gravity was a bit down but I'll check OG in the morning after its chilled itself overnight.

First brew in my newly cleared out brew space. A lot better experience when you have room to move and put stuff down. 😊
Just kegged and force carbonated it. Quality control sample was very nice. Looking forward to a proper test later :D

Not brewing today but planning my weekend's brew.
Somewhere between a blonde and an APA. Something like a 4% with 20-25 IBU.
Pale Malt (85%)
Carapils (5%)
Caramalt (5%)
Vienna (5%)

Centennial to bitter and Citra / Cascade / Amarillo flavour additions.
CML 5 yeast..

It'll be a double brew day to get a full batch. 30 min mash / 30 min boils.

New Zealand Pale assisted by my daughter's BF. He seemed to enjoy the process but I think a bit overwhelmed by the process and detail of AG. The pre-boil gravity was a weedy 1.027, not sure why :confused.: . Will check in the morning and possibly reach for the old Tate and Lyle.

I was thinking I should show him the other end of the complexity spectrum and show him what its like with a kit. Going to check for recommendations on here for a good kit.

Forgot to take pictures again 😠. Going to stick a sign up in the brew shed to remind me.
It was 1.039 the next morning which was better than 1.027. Decided to add 200g of sugar to make it up to the 1.043 target though.

Longest lag time I've experienced which I think was because I pitched around 16c. Its well away now.

On the instructions of Mrs Clint..."BREW!"
So...its another batch of Pipster Pale. Slight adjustment of the recipe as I can't find the torrified wheat so increased the wheat. I also increased the citra dry hop which now equals all the "C" hops to 100g each.

40 pints of Oatmeal Stout.

It was an impromptu brew so used M66 hop head yeast and used up a bag of Hallertau hops.

How bad can it be?

https://share.brewfather.app/iTaT3MT6ub2QnN

IMG_8270.jpeg

Last edited:
40 pints of Oatmeal Stout.

It was an impromptu brew so used M66 hop head yeast and used up a bag of Hallertau hops.

How bad can it be?

https://share.brewfather.app/iTaT3MT6ub2QnN

View attachment 92182
I like the metal shelf. I'm still using the original glass shelves which seem to take a 21 litre brew in a plastic bucket ok but I do worry a bit. I transferred 20 litres into a corny and thought about putting it back in but somehow I thought it wouldn't take it. Maybe its because the corny is heavier than the FV or because it has a small footprint. Where did you get the shelf ?

My other thought is to use wooden struts.

I like the metal shelf. I'm still using the original glass shelves which seem to take a 21 litre brew in a plastic bucket ok but I do worry a bit. I transferred 20 litres into a corny and thought about putting it back in but somehow I thought it wouldn't take it. Maybe its because the corny is heavier than the FV or because it has a small footprint. Where did you get the shelf ?

My other thought is to use wooden struts.

I just cut a sheet of plate up from work but I’m sure you could get an oversized piece off flea bay to cut up yourself.

5mm ally checker.

Today while in brew mode I checked the progress on the oatmeal stout. I mashed high so expect a higher fg. There was no sign of activity and gravity was 1.016. The recipe included a small dry hop of 14g,I put 20g of Hallertau in coz I could. It'll be bottled next days off.

Further to my discussion on TETB's thread about oatmeal stout, I'm trying an oatmeal stout made with oatmeal! :D
Just a small, 10 litre batch:

2000 g Pale Malt
120 g Medium Oatmeal
30 g Porridge Oats
67 g Dark Crystal
120 g Chocolate Malt
67 g Roasted Barley
33 g Black Malt

19 g Challenger @ 60 min
8 g Challenger Flame-out
8 g Styrian Goldings Flame-out.

Last edited: