What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half way through a double brew day for me. American Blonde hopped with centennial for bittering and CML’s US C hop blend for an 80deg hopstand.

10 Litres into the FV with post boil gravity bang on at 1.049.

The other 10 litres will be brewed this eve when the little one is safely tucked up in bed.

10 litres in the FV are now no chilling down ready to be topped up with the second batch this eve before pitching.

Assuming this will be ok given I’ll be pitching the yeast this evening. I did consider chilling and pitching yeast now and then adding the other 10 litres later, but think I’m fairly safe with this method, not to mention saving about 20 litres of water…

leaf burn.jpg

Todays inspiration. Smoked American Amber, the colour of fallen leaves, piney hops and subtle smoke.

Water
Ca-114 Mg-10 Na-20 Co3-37 SO4-125 Cl-125

Mash - 60' @ 68c
Maris Otter - 65%
Rauchmalt - 20%
Dingemann aroma 150 - 9%
Crystal 77L - 5%
Roasted Barley - 1%
First Gold (Home grown) - 30g

Batch -12L
OG -1.049
IBUs - 34
EBC - 28
ABV - 5%

Boil - 60'
Chinook - 5g @ FW
Chinook - 15g @ 10'
Protofloc - 0.3g @10'
Simcoe - 30g @ 0'

House Blend (2 parts S-33/Windsor, 1 part Notty, 1 part BE256) + Yeast Nutrient.

First brew since early September for me. And only the second since June. Life getting in the way.

Hefeweizen - but a touch of dark Wheat. Aiming for a Schneider Weisse ish colour if not the exact taste profile.

Using WHC Banana Split to try it out - and tried a stepped mash to get some clove going too.

Mash was quite gummy despite some rice hulls and I've undershot on OG by quite a bit. Looking at a 4.6% rather than over 5%. Worse things happen at sea.

Yeast pitched. Wort in fridge. Just the clean up to do.

Last edited:
Unrelated to the brew (though I am a bathams fan…)

I’m looking at getting an all-in-one and the Klarsteins look good for the money.. how do you find yours?
Im happy with the Klarstein, especially the deal a few of us got in Jan 2023 , reduced price and discount codes got it to a bonkers price of £177:D Might be worth looking after xmas if they repeat it next year. at that price I can forgive any shortcomings but tbh I havent found any. I only do 23l batches so is fine for me. great efficiency - regularly overshoot OG. A few beeps and chirrups to work out but really straight forward. Looking forward to the Bathams its produces today.

Im happy with the Klarstein, especially the deal a few of us got in Jan 2023 , reduced price and discount codes got it to a bonkers price of £177:D Might be worth looking after xmas if they repeat it next year. at that price I can forgive any shortcomings but tbh I havent found any. I only do 23l batches so is fine for me. great efficiency - regularly overshoot OG. A few beeps and chirrups to work out but really straight forward. Looking forward to the Bathams its produces today.

Sounds good.. they seem a really good bet for the money. What size are you doing your 23 litre batches in? 25 or did you go 30?
Amazon have all 3 for around the 220 mark at the moment, might wait and see what January brings…

30l less chance of boilovers. Didn't come with an immersion chiller. A coil of 10mm copper microbore from screwfix/toolstation and easy enough to create one.

Dredged up my Lambtons clone recipe and made a 20 litre batch. I'd bought some Fuggles and Willamette for it but what I had left in the freezer was exactly enough Fuggles and all but 1g of the Willamette.

Had a tiny little helper today, a robin, hopping round my brew shed. Was really tempted to give it some malt but I don't think I should be encouraging it (for sanitary reasons as it did hop onto the boiler at one point :laugh8:).

Forgot to put the 'take photos' sign up so once again - no photos.

BBE - Best Brewday Ever! Took a day off work today to use up some accrued holidays, but chose today as the other half is working a long shift and the boy's at school until 4pm today.

15L Black IPA. Pale Ale Malt, chocolate Malt and black malt. Columbus and Citra in the boil with Citra and Amarillo hopstand. CML Clipper yeast.

Brewday went totally to plan. Peace, quiet, cups of coffee and chocolate digestives. Hit the planned OG of 1.055 with a litre extra in the FV. All cleaned up, and FV in the fermenting fridge at 20degC. Apart from the lovely smell of hops in the kitchen, you'd never know there had been a Brewday. First time brewing a Black IPA, so looking forward to trying it in 5 weeks or so.

Dredged up my Lambtons clone recipe and made a 20 litre batch. I'd bought some Fuggles and Willamette for it but what I had left in the freezer was exactly enough Fuggles and all but 1g of the Willamette.

Had a tiny little helper today, a robin, hopping round my brew shed. Was really tempted to give it some malt but I don't think I should be encouraging it (for sanitary reasons as it did hop onto the boiler at one point :laugh8:).

Forgot to put the 'take photos' sign up so once again - no photos.

No-chilled overnight and thanks to the freezing temperatures it was down to 15 so I switched the boiler on for about 30 seconds to bring it back up to 18.

Realised while I was finishing my breakfast that I've still got the packet of yeast in my pocket. I suppose it might help if I go back out and pitch it. :laugh8: :roll:.

No-chilled overnight and thanks to the freezing temperatures it was down to 15 so I switched the boiler on for about 30 seconds to bring it back up to 18.

Realised while I was finishing my breakfast that I've still got the packet of yeast in my pocket. I suppose it might help if I go back out and pitch it. :laugh8: :roll:.

I forgot I'd left the mashbag full of grain in a bucket in the brewshed overnight, when I went back in to put the yeast in I remembered the bag but my little helper (the robin) had pooped on the bag :mad:. I realised no amount of cleaning or sterilising would be enough so I binned it. Went to a local sewing supplier today to by some more voile to make a new mashbag. When I told him what I wanted it for he said he wouldn't charge me but would swap it for a bottle of beer. Thumbs up for RoomServe athumb...

Pleasant surprise this eve. Thought fermentation had stalled on my pale / blonde as, after a day or two’s vigorous bubbling, it had stopped completely, and the lid had dipped in a little (plastic fermenting bucket).

M44 yeast.

Quick SG check and it’s at the target 1.008. Tastes good too, still quite bitter. Wasn’t planning to keg until next weekend…

Attachments

• 9409B139-5B7D-4DC3-9864-6749175A9D65.jpeg
    9409B139-5B7D-4DC3-9864-6749175A9D65.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
A take on Sam Smiths India Ale.

OG 1,050 FG 1012 ABV 5% IBU 50 SRM 8.5

4.5 kg Veloria Schooner Pale Malt
0,50 kg Toasted Ale Malt
0,250 kg Voyager winter wheat malt.
0,350 kg Simpsons light crystal (late mash tun addition)
75 minute boil
60 mins 25g Northern Brewer
30 mins 40g EKG
15 mins 28g EKG
Hop Stand 28g Fuggles

Malts.
1701400200842.png

Mash out crustal added

1701400239474.png

Vorlauf

1701400368275.png

Boil
1701400414271.png

So I brewed this today..

Thread 'Coconut Shipa' Coconut Shipa

Realised half way through sparg that I had chosen the wrong equipment profile and would have been over sparging, cut it right back but still ended up with a bit more wort than planned (never a bad thing in my book). Will be no chill.overnight and pitch tomorrow

So I brewed this today..

Thread 'Coconut Shipa' Coconut Shipa

Realised half way through sparg that I had chosen the wrong equipment profile and would have been over sparging, cut it right back but still ended up with a bit more wort than planned (never a bad thing in my book). Will be no chill.overnight and pitch tomorrow
What's the ambient temperature ? I no-chilled a few days ago and due to the fact the brew shed was only a few degrees above freezing it chilled too much and I had to heat it back up to pitch :D

Latest posts

Back