What do you do with trub?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read on here somewhere that someone uses the yeast trub in bread making.

Not sure how that would go if you have dry hopped though.. might be interesting lunch rolls!!

Can be done but would be quite a dense loaf as beer yeast produces less C02 than bread yeast.
You can also use spent grains in bread making.

Can be done but would be quite a dense loaf as beer yeast produces less C02 than bread yeast.
You can also use spent grains in bread making.

Absolutely untrue! Sorry!

My first use of yeast recovered from the trub overflowed the loaf tins and on subsequent occasions I have had to knock back the bread after the first hour. :thumb:

Check out this Thread ...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63829

... where I too was an unbeliever!

I have also improved my system over the last five months. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi!
I've just got a picture in my head of pigs expelling alcoholic farts!
Seriously though, I'd have thought that the stomach was too acidic for yeast to thrive.

As a kid my Mum used to buy a tanners worth of yeast from the local Co-op before making bread ... :thumb:

... and I used to nick a lump or two if I managed to dodge the blows!! :whistle:

It had a fantastic flavour and the second it touched my tongue it dissolved from a solid lump into a mouth filling liquid.

I'm afraid that my stomach acids in no way seemed to kill off the yeast effects ... :nono: :nono:

... and whenever I "overdosed" I often had to make an increased number of visits to the end of the garden; to read the previous week's newspapers! :whistle: :whistle:

Definitely keep hops and dogs well separated.
The oils in them can be deadly very quickly.
Something about stopping their ability to regulate heat...

Absolutely untrue! Sorry!

My first use of yeast recovered from the trub overflowed the loaf tins and on subsequent occasions I have had to knock back the bread after the first hour. :thumb:

Check out this Thread ...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63829

... where I too was an unbeliever!

I have also improved my system over the last five months. :thumb: :thumb:
I did think about using beer yeast to make bread a month or so ago so I did a google search then, which is where I base my response from rather than personal experience.
I except what you say is true from your experience.
I'm going to get the bread machine out & give it a go sounds like fun. Iv got a brew that needs transfering::lol::grin: lets see what hapens:grin:

I did think about using beer yeast to make bread a month or so ago so I did a google search then, which is where I base my response from rather than personal experience.
I except what you say is true from your experience.
I'm going to get the bread machine out & give it a go sounds like fun. Iv got a brew that needs transfering::lol::grin: lets see what hapens:grin:

Maybe the people didn't make a "yeast starter"?

My loaf recipe calls for 1½ teaspoonful of sugar per 500 grams of flour so I make up my yeast "starter" (for a 3 loaf bake) with three heaped teaspoonful of sugar in 900ml of warm water and then wait for it to kick off; just like I do for a brew!

Thinking about it, the original recipe that I use called for 1 teaspoonful of Dried Yeast per 500 grams of flour so maybe the yeast from my rescued trub comes in at well over that amount!

My first attempt was definitely a revelation in how active yeast can be! :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back