What does Lambic Beer Taste Like

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
As the title says, what does lambic beer taste like? I've never had it and hadn't even heard of it before I started HBing. I suspect I won't like it as I understand it to be sour?

To me using wild yeast sounds akin to foraging for herbs, mushrooms etc, 'cept I don't have to bother going out the house.

Even if I don't/won't like Lambic beer, it sounds fascinating and I've got my eye on the book Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow

It's sour and very refreshing, generally around the 5% abv mark.

It's not my favourite beer but I like it and you can do some hybrid beers that are mainly fermented with ale yeast but then use wild yeast to finish it off.

Worth a try if you see it although it's very rare in the UK.

My sister kindly gave me two bottles of traditionally made lambic from Belgium a few years ago. I drank one bottle and it was very sour and I don't remember liking it very much. The label on the remaining bottle says it should be good to drink until 2030 and will only improve with age, so at the moment I've got no plans putting myself through drinking a lambic again soon.

Actually, I read the relevant section about Lambic beer and the yeast that is used to ferment it in my newly purchased yeast book today.

Definetley don't think I'd like it as I've got a very sweet tooth. Also the author talks about the flavours created by the relevant yeast (wild yeast - Brettanomyces) as coming from a farm yard, flavours of horse blanket, barnyard, sweaty horse, band-aid, leather, wet wool. MMmm, can't wait to try some :sick: :-D

I prefer gueze to lambics Boon's Oude Gueze or Marriage Parfait which is a 1% more abv but they both remind me of extremely sharp orange squash undiluted taste. At cold temperatures (yes, i'm a philistine) they are certainly are unique.

Lambic is like a softer turned down version of a gueze. Perhaps try a roddenbach or duchess de bourgogne to start with.

or one of the weaker cherry beer's (krieks) belle vue i think, although that was not tart enough for my taste

They vary a lot. Not had very many, but have tasted a number. I've had some that taste like cider, including a Gueuze, didn't seem like a beer at all really! One that I liked was a Flanders Red. Very dark with a red tinge. Can't remember what it was called though. It was an established Belgian brand. Very nice actually. Actually, I've also had fruit lambics, and they work well too. Timmermans is widely available. Liefmans cherry is really good.

I had a cantillion (possibly spelt wrong) and really enjoyed it. Describing it makes it sound unpleasant, but it is strangely delicious. Maybe cidery, vinegary, fruity, sour.. was a while ago. I wouldn't brew one but I would drink them.

For something in-between, not as sour, but very flavourful, look out for a bourgogne des flandres brun... it's one of the nicest beers i've ever drank. discovered in Antwerp (best city in world for beer btw)

Visited Brussels 12th-14th December, and that was a great place to visit, Antwerp next on the list. Me and my better half ended up in la Becasse which is possibly the best place in the world to try lambics.

Unless you know otherwise:-D

I still prefer Gueze though!

p.s if you drive over to belguim take a detour via....

http://www.vanuxeem.com/vanuxeem/en/6995-our-shops.html

make sure you have loads of boot space.

I always stock up here and they have a large range of Gueze & Lambics amongst other great beers :party:

Latest posts

Back