What do you do with beers you don't like?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaddan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've brewed a beer recently that I just don't like, nothing wrong with it just not to my taste.
Not sure I can throw it away, but not sure what to do with it.

What do others do when you make a beer you don't like?

I made an IPA at the start of this summer which I dry hopped in the keg. It was fine for 2 weeks but after that I got big grassy flavours and dumped it. We all make mistakes and I replaced it with a cracking beer a few weeks later.

So far in my brewing life it hasn’t happened too often. But it has occurred when I’ve brewed a beer to see what it’s like. If I don’t like it I make sure I have something I know I like to replace it with before getting rid…..and making a note not to brew it again.

Unless they're off I drink them all.
Another workable option is if you get frequent visitors who keep popping by for a try of your beer give it to them.
I have a agree. I too give it away (by the crate). With the comment "the beer is a gift, the bottles are a loan"

I also try not to make stuff I am not sure about. This too applies to pickles, jam, bread etc...and I don't get 40 of those.

So I've brewed a beer recently that I just don't like, nothing wrong with it just not to my taste.
Not sure I can throw it away, but not sure what to do with it.

What do others do when you make a beer you don't like?
I haven't had a brew I haven't liked for ages. I have had some which have needed a bit of age to improve. I had a gassy one at the start of the year which tasted fine but had a massive head. I did use some of that in my slug traps. If you know people with gardens they would probably love you for it for their traps.

Has to be truly awful for me to not drink it. If it qualifies that way, it means I won't even fob it off on friends, so it usually ends up in the water pan of the smoker or into the slug traps in the garden.

I’d be interested to know what the OPs beer is that is unliked. So far I have had some underwhelming batches but nothing bad. The only stuff undrunk is the high abv. Which is fine to age more anyway.

I'm sure most of us occasionally turn out a brew that is a bit of a disappointment but drink them anyway. Compared to some of the beers you get down the pub any disappointment pales into insignificance.

I brew it I drink it, just got through an IPA man it was a struggle. I really should stop brewing IPAs, but I'm a sucker for a good deal. 2 coopers kits for £10. When beer is that cheap you really cant complain.

There is a limit to how much I can drink alcohol wise, and I’m not going to waste it on a beer that I don’t enjoy. It’s rare but now and then I have a beer that is just not for me, and their is something incredibly satisfying about pouring the lot down the drain and then drinking something that I actually enjoy.

Seriously life is to short to waste it drinking beer you don’t enjoy.

That being said if it is a high ABV beer and bottled it can be worthwhile tucking it away for six months to a year as these are the kind of beers that can genuinely improve if conditioned for an extended period.

Latest posts

Back