What Equipment will I need

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all comes back to "budget" plus "ambition".

I suggest that "Small and cheap." is the way to start.

If you find out that you hate the work involved then you have wasted only a small amount of money.

If you decide to go ahead then not all you have spent will be wasted. (e.g. a hydrometer is a hydrometer whether you are brewing large or small.)

We need to know a lot more before we can advise.

I have highlighted the above because the premises from which you are going to work are critical to the success of your venture.

Are you aware that brewing uses huge amounts of water and produces even more water vapour? What are the arrangements in your premises to supply water and get rid of the water vapour?

How about bottle or keg storage 1. prior to use, 2. after filling, 3. for carbonation and 4. for conditioning? Are you aware that you need the same amount of space for EACH of the four stages?

Believe me, it ain't easy and the first point is to sit down with your mates and decide exactly what you wish to do.

When we know that, we can start advising you. :thumb:

Hi, thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it, I know I seem to be trying to run before I can walk, but thats just my nature.

Yea like the advice before, I think we will start small, to get to grips with it and to try our recipes out, so we were thinking a 20 - 30ltr boiling pot - Mash Tun- and possibly 3 Plastic FV so we can have a few brews going at once. We do currently have a water supply and it has pretty good ventilation, we also have a fully qualified Plumber and Electrician, so any adjustmants to anything can be sorted out. I don't know the exact measurements but the property where we will be doing it from is pretty large.

If you want to brew All Grain, start All Grain. If you know you want to brew 50-75L and are prepared to make that financial commitment, then buy the kit for the job. It is also noteworthy that you don't have to brew to max capacity, you can begin by brewing less on that kit. You can also ferment over a number of smaller FVs to begin with which would allow experimentation with different yeasts and dry hopping. If you know what you want to do, and are committed, you may waste money getting intermediate sized kit.

As for which pot? You basically need a heat source to boil wort, so choose the safest, most convenient for your brewing environment. One with a tap is essential given the desired batch size.

Also do you know what you want for a mash tun?

You'll need to transfer liquids from one vessel to another, and consider the practicalities of that. Not a problem doing it by gravity (ie one vessel higher than the other) if there are two of you, but as a one person job, you'll be looking at pumping from one vessel to another.

I'd highly recommend reading Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher

Where are you based, Raradir? I'm sure there'll be someone local to help you get started, or a local homebrew club.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

If you want to brew All Grain, start All Grain. If you know you want to brew 50-75L and are prepared to make that financial commitment, then buy the kit for the job. It is also noteworthy that you don't have to brew to max capacity, you can begin by brewing less on that kit. You can also ferment over a number of smaller FVs to begin with which would allow experimentation with different yeasts and dry hopping.

As for which pot? You basically need a heat source to boil wort, so choose the safest, most convenient for your brewing environment. One with a tap is essential given the desired batch size.

I'd highly recommend reading Mastering Homebrew by Randy Mosher

Where are you based, Raradir? I'm sure there'll be someone local to help you get started, or a local homebrew club.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm from Whitby, and we know the people who own and run Whitby Brewery, so I will be asking them advice next time I see them. I'm thinking the Electric boiler might be the safest bet, as it'll mean we don't need an open flame. Currently looking at a 56Ltr Electric Boiler which is around £156, which like people have said before, we will start of small, and when we go for bigger batches, we can use this smaller system to experiment with new recipes etc

I'm guessing this is a dig at me being a new brewer, ............

As someone who has had to explain the difference between "drinkable" and "palatable" I feel obliged to say that you are not a "New Brewer"; but you aspire to be a "New Brewer".

You will become a "New Brewer" after Brew Number One and hold that title until about Brew Number Twenty-Five; if you learn by your mistakes.

After Brew Number Twenty-Five you will become a "Novice Brewer" and hold that title until you reach middle-age or Brew Number Two Hundred. At this stage you will become a "Home Brewer" and hold that title until you reach great old age. (Drinking copious amounts of beer will help you achieve this status!)

Great old age allows you to wax lyrical about how things have changed and how today's youth just don't know how lucky they are; and they can't argue 'cos they were't there! :lol: :lol:

Aye lad! It's a hard life but someone has to do it! :thumb: :thumb:

As someone who has had to explain the difference between "drinkable" and "palatable" I feel obliged to say that you are not a "New Brewer"; but you aspire to be a "New Brewer".

You will become a "New Brewer" after Brew Number One and hold that title until about Brew Number Twenty-Five; if you learn by your mistakes.

After Brew Number Twenty-Five you will become a "Novice Brewer" and hold that title until you reach middle-age or Brew Number Two Hundred. At this stage you will become a "Home Brewer" and hold that title until you reach great old age. (Drinking copious amounts of beer will help you achieve this status!)

Great old age allows you to wax lyrical about how things have changed and how today's youth just don't know how lucky they are; and they can't argue 'cos they were't there! :lol: :lol:

Aye lad! It's a hard life but someone has to do it! :thumb: :thumb:

Hahaha thanks, I will remember those titles and cherish them when I achieve them, like I said I always try to run before I can walk, I put it down to my age, so I apologise for that. As someone who's job and livelihood is craft and speciality beer, I have already drunk copious amounts, so I'm on my way.

Thanks, I'm from Whitby, and we know the people who own and run Whitby Brewery, so I will be asking them advice next time I see them. I'm thinking the Electric boiler might be the safest bet, as it'll mean we don't need an open flame. Currently looking at a 56Ltr Electric Boiler which is around �£156, which like people have said before, we will start of small, and when we go for bigger batches, we can use this smaller system to experiment with new recipes etc

I take it this is the boiler you're looking at. If it is, I have the same but without the sight glass. I've had 35 litres to a rolling boil in it but don't think it could handle much more without a second element fitted.

http://the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Stainless-Steel-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler-1.html

I take it this is the boiler you're looking at. If it is, I have the same but without the sight glass. I've had 35 litres to a rolling boil in it but don't think it could handle much more without a second element fitted.

http://the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Stainless-Steel-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler-1.html

That is indeed the one I'm looking at, I figure it would be safer than an open Flame, are they easy to fit a second element to? My brother is a qualified electrician so I figure he would be able to fit one. If not around the 30 - 35 Ltr mark should be ok to start with as we plan on getting three 30ltr Fermenting bins to go along with it so we can have 3 brews fermenting at once.

That is indeed the one I'm looking at, I figure it would be safer than an open Flame, are they easy to fit a second element to? My brother is a qualified electrician so I figure he would be able to fit one. If not around the 30 - 35 Ltr mark should be ok to start with as we plan on getting three 30ltr Fermenting bins to go along with it so we can have 3 brews fermenting at once.

Think you'd need a 40mm Qmax cutter (someone else may correct me) but once the hole is in, fitting the element is easy.

better off with a 38.5mm qmax, there is some variance in kettle element sizes and if needed 10-30 mins with a file opening up a hole a tad is a LOT easier than trying to plug a hole with a 1-2mm undersized element..

tho if heating with electrcity and elements the triclad base pot is a bit redundant inst it??
In fact its not a very practical kettle is it? sight tubes and dodgy gauge thermometers are more eye candy than any use.. the steam and liquid surface is a far better indicator of boil progress than a temperature reading, and you really want electronic thermometer if your going to trust it..

and your sight glass will remain clean until the end of your 1st brew, after which it will be stained with a hint of the colour from that brew and unless real glass good luck scrubbing it off..

you could probably save a bit of cash buying a pot direct from bergland and a couple of qmax punches to fit elements and fittings, If you have that sort of budget i would spend it on nice LWD brewing elements, no chance of scorching the brew and post brew element clean up is a few wipes with a scrubie and not the 5 minute intense elbow grease episode.. ;)

just my opinion ..

I agree with Fil.

Also, make an Ullage Stick and a sight glass (which is an inaccurate, breakable source of leaks that needs regular dismantling and cleaning) becomes redundant.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Ullage Stick.jpg

Have you considered how you'd control the fermentation temp of a large brew, or several smaller ones?

Have you considered how you'd control the fermentation temp of a large brew, or several smaller ones?

The place where we will be brewing stays at a cool temperature throughout the year, even in the height of summer, it stays that cool that people actually go in there on heatwaves to cool down. Saying that though, its not that cold that it would prevent fermentation. I keep meaning to try and take an average reading of the temperature of the place.

The place where we will be brewing stays at a cool temperature throughout the year, even in the height of summer, it stays that cool that people actually go in there on heatwaves to cool down. Saying that though, its not that cold that it would prevent fermentation. I keep meaning to try and take an average reading of the temperature of the place.

Many years ago all beer was successfully brewed at ambient temperatures. :thumb:

However, in those days the commercial guys had no time constraints and were prepared to wait for a fermentation to complete because none of their competitors had temperature control either.

If you are aiming at experimentation with a view to commercial brewing then you will have to control the temperature in order to produce consistent brews within a given time-frame.

"Near enough is good enough." only applies to us amateurs ... :whistle:

... and I suspect that about 99% of us control the temperatures of our brews! :thumb:

Many years ago all beer was successfully brewed at ambient temperatures. :thumb:

However, in those days the commercial guys had no time constraints and were prepared to wait for a fermentation to complete because none of their competitors had temperature control either.

If you are aiming at experimentation with a view to commercial brewing then you will have to control the temperature in order to produce consistent brews within a given time-frame.

"Near enough is good enough." only applies to us amateurs ... :whistle:

... and I suspect that about 99% of us control the temperatures of our brews! :thumb:

Aye yea, if we ever did do it as a commercial enterprise, we would definitely have to be precise with the control of the temperature, but I can see that being many moons from now. Saying that whilst we are experimenting with now with different brews etc I'll keep the temperatures controlled as best as I can and will Google/Youtube on ways of doing this, and will consist of many a DIY job and plenty of beer.

Aye yea, if we ever did do it as a commercial enterprise, we would definitely have to be precise with the control of the temperature, but I can see that being many moons from now. Saying that whilst we are experimenting with now with different brews etc I'll keep the temperatures controlled as best as I can and will Google/Youtube on ways of doing this, and will consist of many a DIY job and plenty of beer.

The cheapest and easiest way is to sit the FV in a builders trug, fill the trug with water, use an aquarium heater (stuck to the side of the FV) to control the temperature of the water and throw a blanket over it to minimise heat loss.

Lidl have builder's trugs on offer at the moment! :thumb:

PS If required, to give an element of control for "cooling" just remove the blanket and rely on evaporation.

Last edited:
The cheapest and easiest way is to sit the FV in a builders trug, fill the trug with water, use an aquarium heater (stuck to the side of the FV) to control the temperature of the water and throw a blanket over it to minimise heat loss.

Lidl have builder's trugs on offer at the moment! :thumb:

PS If required, to give an element of control for "cooling" just remove the blanket and rely on evaporation.

Awesome idea, I have made a note of that, and will try it when the time comes.

I use a aquarium heater all the time only cost a few quid from flebay
and they work grate
but I put mine inside the fv as my house is a cold one even in the summer
owing to the age of it 126 years old
just remember to set the temperature and test with a full fv of water before you use with your brew
so you know you got the right temperature set

I use a aquarium heater all the time only cost a few quid from flebay
and they work grate
but I put mine inside the fv as my house is a cold one even in the summer
owing to the age of it 126 years old
just remember to set the temperature and test with a full fv of water before you use with your brew
so you know you got the right temperature set

Good idea, I will have a look at them, I have seen people converting fridges, is this something you guys would recommend? As I have seen a few large Chest freezers for sale in my area

Good idea, I will have a look at them, I have seen people converting fridges, is this something you guys would recommend? As I have seen a few large Chest freezers for sale in my area

Short answer: Yes. Loads of members have converted domestic fridges to brewfridges. Theres a lot on the forum about how to do it

Back