What have I made?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

Today I created my first recipe. I didn't really aim for a particular style - just went with english malt/hops/yeast!

Recipe:

27 litres of bottle water to start
bring water temp to 65C
steep 432g of crystal malt for 20 mins
bring to boil
0 min - 54g Challenger
60 min - 2475g of light spray malt
70 min - 13.5g Goldings
80 min - 1 protofloc
85 min (flameout) - 13.5g Goldings

OG: 1.0051

Yeast: Safale-04

FG: we'll see... :)

IMG_1922.jpg

What style category would this likely fall into? I'm thinking probably a dark bitter?

JT

Dunno but I like the sound of it... Wonder what I'll have left over after the first few brews...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ok, two things strike me - firstly you've put the timings for the hops and protofloc the other way round to how people usually write them. Usually the timings are taken from the switch off point. So Challenger would be 85 min, Goldings 15 min, protoflec 5 min, and Goldings 0 min.

The other thing that strikes me is how dark your wort is and I can't see anything in the recipe that would make it that colour. Maybe I'm wrong, or have you missed something out of the recipe?

Ok, two things strike me - firstly you've put the timings for the hops and protofloc the other way round to how people usually write them. Usually the timings are taken from the switch off point. So Challenger would be 85 min, Goldings 15 min, protoflec 5 min, and Goldings 0 min.

The other thing that strikes me is how dark your wort is and I can't see anything in the recipe that would make it that colour. Maybe I'm wrong, or have you missed something out of the recipe?

That's interesting re. the timings!

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised by the colour too. I thought it was going to be a much lighter/red colour brown. It's almost black!

This was the Crystal I used:

IMG_1914.jpg

JT

Just ran those ingredients through some software, just from curiosity. Based on 20 litres of beer, which gave me the gravity you have. Came out at 28 EBC, based on 200 EBC for the Crystal Malt and 16 EBC for the malt extract. Certainly no-where near the colour you got. Dunno why, sure it was light malt extract? Decide what you made after you taste it :-D

I would have said some kind of ESB/Bitter from the recipe but like you say its came out darker.. Crystal 200 is darker than normal crystal and boiling DME does darken it.. but that looks stoutish.

edit : worth asking did you boil the steep for 60 mins in hops then add extract? you may not have gotten good hop utilisation because the hops require the gravity of the wort..

Since you were going for the full volume boil I would have added all the extract in post steep and boil myself.. That way you can balance the recipe out as you would on a full mash. as your additions are in direct to the gravity you are boiling at

I would have said some kind of ESB/Bitter from the recipe but like you say its came out darker.. Crystal 200 is darker than normal crystal and boiling DME does darken it.. but that looks stoutish.

edit : worth asking did you boil the steep for 60 mins in hops then add extract? you may not have gotten good hop utilisation because the hops require the gravity of the wort..

Since you were going for the full volume boil I would have added all the extract in post steep and boil myself.. That way you can balance the recipe out as you would on a full mash. as your additions are in direct to the gravity you are boiling at

Ah, I added the DME at the end of the boil. I usually do 50% at the start and 50% near the end. Not sure why I changed it on this one.

I actually put more Challenger hops in at the start of the boil than I intended to, so perhaps my two errors will cancel each other out (two wrongs making a right?!).

Latest posts

Back