What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T-Bone - sous vide 55c 3 hours and then finished off 45 sec a side in a blazing hot cast iron pan (couldn't be bothered to fire up the BGE for 1 min 30 of cooking...)

Attachments

• thumbnail-steak-1.jpeg
    thumbnail-steak-1.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail-steak-2.jpeg
    thumbnail-steak-2.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
Failed to take any pictures but did Ox Cheeks for the first time on the Kamado this weekend. Very cheap cut of meat from Morisons, only a few £ each, did one per head. Dry brined the night before, rubbed with garlic powder and black pepper, on the Kamado at 135°C with a chunk of oak for 3 hours, then into a roasting tray to braise for 2 hours with some onions I'd softened, 500ml of home brew, and a beef stock cube.

Served with creamy mash, steamed cavolo nero, and sautéed mushrooms (daughter's request). Very nice wintery dish, the cheeks pulled apart nicely.

1kg Tomahawk, cooked over Big K charcoal with a lump of cherry oak. Took about 20 minutes or so to get it to a lovely medium rare with the help of my Meater plus. Served with just a twist of pink himalayan salt. Sliced with my birthday present from my wife, a Sakuto knife all the way from Japan. Bloody lovely.

(Bone removed and disposed of before photo )

Attachments

• 20230203_184354.jpg
    20230203_184354.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
For those who don’t know I live less than 2 miles from the East shore of Lough Neigh, and I met a local fisherman this week. These wild trout were in the Lough on Monday, then in my fridge on Tuesday. They’ve had 48hrs curing in salt and brown sugar. We’re about 4hrs into a cold smoke with Sweet Chestnut.
502FC759-8C69-4F5F-8FA6-0476EBE5162F.jpeg

Look like brownies. I wondered as the flesh is quite pink,this usually means a high pellet diet from being reared fish or from a high crustacean diet. Wild browns round here have pale almost grey flesh.

The habitat in Lough Neigh is quite unique. These fillets were very pink going into the smoker, and it's not form the curing salts. I won't be getting any more of trout until this time next year, but I have found myself a good source of pollen and eel. Win win!

I’ve never smoked an eel, I’ll have to do some research first. My dad was a massive fan and served me it many times in his later years. I’ve no idea how to cook them, but they are delicious. And once I get my hands on one I’m changing my tagline back to ‘A légpárnás hajóm tele van angoinákkali’

For those who don’t know I live less than 2 miles from the East shore of Lough Neigh, and I met a local fisherman this week. These wild trout were in the Lough on Monday, then in my fridge on Tuesday. They’ve had 48hrs curing in salt and brown sugar. We’re about 4hrs into a cold smoke with Sweet Chestnut.
View attachment 83867
I always thought it was Lough Neagh !!

Must admit when I was living at home I used to love eels from the river Bann - G

Never tasted eel, My father was a life long fisher man. Salmon and sea trout mainly, a good sea trout is hard to beat. Also hunted, pheasant,woodcock and snipe
Give it a go if you get the chance, it’s amazing. Back to this cook, I may have overestimated the potency of the sweet chestnut. It’s good job I like a strong smoke flavour!

View attachment 83867
Gorgeous part of the world. Many years ago I did a Microlight license flying out of Tandragee. Some of the training used to be down along the River Bann at low level until reaching Lough Neigh. It was amazing.

Latest posts

Back