What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked a small ham today. Black Pepper and Marmalade glaze. Smoked with apple wood.

IMG_20220903_214300.jpg

Today's cook on the Aldi Kamado, a 12.5lb rib of beef. 3 hour cook over Big K charcoal with a piece of cherry oak, cooked to medium rare. Salt brine for 24 hours then rubbed with unsalted butter mixed with "Rusty Bbq Company Cattle Dust"
Absolutely beautiful.

Attachments

• 20220917_161223.jpg
    20220917_161223.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
Up at the north coast this weekend. We completely failed to catch any mackerel today. I was going to fillet and cure them here then get the cold smoker going tomorrow night when I got home. Mondays breakfast plans have just gone to pot 🥲

Up at the north coast this weekend. We completely failed to catch any mackerel today. I was going to fillet and cure them here then get the cold smoker going tomorrow night when I got home. Mondays breakfast plans have just gone to pot 🥲
Ah, the elusive mackerel. I had a failed trip a couple of weeks ago. Managed a couple of small Bass, but that was about it. Smoked mackerel are fantastic.

Good to see you have had a go at cold smoking. 9 hours seems excessive for a piece that size. I do about 4 hours max. Regards the cutting up, the last piece I did, I peeled the skin off and cut it conventionally, and that worked well for very thin slices with no waste. You can also, if you wish, remove the gray crud easily this way, should you wish.

Good to see you have had a go at cold smoking. 9 hours seems excessive for a piece that size. I do about 4 hours max. Regards the cutting up, the last piece I did, I peeled the skin off and cut it conventionally, and that worked well for very thin slices with no waste. You can also, if you wish, remove the gray crud easily this way, should you wish.
Cheers for that. First time out for me, I’ll be cutting the time down on both the cure and the smoke next time round.

Smoked our Christmas day ham last night.
cooked in the slow cooker with cider, bay leaves and peppercorns for 4 hours, then finished off on the smoker for an hour at 150c with apple wood. Basted with a honey and mustard coating throughout.

Attachments

• PXL_20221224_164337632.jpg
    PXL_20221224_164337632.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221224_164229674.jpg
    PXL_20221224_164229674.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Back