What is the best beer you've tasted abroad?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember sitting in a bar in Turkey when we had just arrived on holiday drinking an Efes lager. Perhaps not the worlds best beer but it tasted pretty bloody good at the time. Sometimes it's not the "what" that counts, but it's the "where and when". Other than that, Westvleteren 12 at the abbey was very impressive.

I remember sitting in a bar in Turkey when we had just arrived on holiday drinking an Efes lager. Perhaps not the worlds best beer but it tasted pretty bloody good at the time. Sometimes it's not the "what" that counts, but it's the "where and when". Other than that, Westvleteren 12 at the abbey was very impressive.

Ooh, and when we were in Canada, I really liked St Ambrose Oatmeal Stout.

In the 40 degree 90% humidity this year in Turkey the efes went down really well.. back here it would probably seem boring but out there is was refreshing

In the 40 degree 90% humidity this year in Turkey the efes went down really well.. back here it would probably seem boring but out there is was refreshing

Indeed. On a hot summers day I'll quite happily quaff a lager but in winter a heavy porter would really hit the spot. Horses for courses and all that.

After a summer of extending 10 days spending money to last just over 5 weeks on holiday on the italian riviera after me olevels,making money by scavenging lost change on the beach while sweeping and stacking unstacking deckchairs for the approval to kip in the sun bed lockup thanks to the holiday rep who delayed our return flight (a total hippy with his leg in plaster after a drunken moped crash.)
before the bus to the airport we pooled our cash and had enough for a warm tin of Double diamond the only beer in the only bar/cafe open during siesta. Having spent the last few weeks sneaking into clubs not with spectacular success and mine sweeping unattended drinks on the rare occasion we succeeded. a guilt free warm sup of a taste of home was quite memorable.

I tend to travel a lot for work, so I have some favorites here and there. Unfortunately I have more bad experiences than positive ones, but that's probably my taste. Especially around San Diego where IPAs are trendy, I had a hard time to find something I like.

Archipelago Yuzucha and Archipresso beer were a hit in Singapore. The first one a a german pale-ish lager. The letter one of a coffee beer which I at first was quite sceptic about (sounded like a winter beer.. and it was 37 degrees with 101% humidity), but it went down real good. I was also pleasantly surprised there were good premium brews, as I'm usually not that fond of asian beers. Brewwerkz is also a very interesting brewery.

Japan also has some very good lagers and some refreshing beers that are brewed with sake cultures. Same goes for premium eastern European beers. Quality can be tasted in those beers, though stay away from the cheap ones. A good example is Ursus from Romania, Ariana from Bulgaria and Zubr from Poland. Just go for the reinheitsgebot ingredients and you're fine. In cheap beers they mix corn in.

Back