what is the difference?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybabsy

Regular.
Reaction score
...between putting the hops into the boiler and putting them into a muslin bag into the boiler? I am doing my first AG batch and have gotten a nice ss 50l pot from Germany- but havent gotten round to fitting a tap or filter onto it. I was going to boil the wort in it and add the hops in a bag. then pour the hopped wort once chilled into the fv

any thoughts?

thanks

Hops moving around in a vigerous boil will give a more efficient isomerisation than when they are in a bag. If possible it is better to let them boil free and to use a hop filter or strain the wort.

thanks folks- really appreciate these answers.

what's an isomerisation? would it be better to split the hops into a couple of bags rather than one?

It's the process of converting the alpha acids in the hops to bitterness in the beer. The efficiency of the process is aided by the hops being free to move in the rolling boil. Using a bag contains then and can result in a less efficient conversion leading to a lower percieved bitterness.

I used to use hop bags when I was extract brewing though and with some good results so don't let it put you off but if at all possible it is better to allow them to move freely in the wort. :thumb:

Back