What is your annual spend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much do you spend per year?

• £0-£100

• £101- £150

• £151- £200

• £251- £300

• £301- £350

• £351- £400

• £401- £450

• £451- £500

• £500+

Results are only viewable after voting.

glove81

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some help regarding a college project. Please could you answer the question posted.

I am wondering how much per year you spend on all facets of homebrew production? This can include but not limited to equipment purchases, ingredients, sterilisers, bottles, caps etc etc etc.

I realise it's perhaps a best guess scenario but you guys are the best info around.

piddledribble said:
are you being employed by my wife ??.... :grin:

haha... I was going to ask if we answer in 'wife pounds' as my brothers call hobby money, or real pounds :)

It's early days for me so I don't yet have an 'Annual Spend' figure ..... My first months spend seems quite high though but that's expected.
I suspect we enjoy a great hobby, produce some great drink, but don't save any money (as opposed to buying in the supermarket) :|

im over a grand atm and only been brewing a year just. new shed so Ive got a brewshed, all the equipment and ingredients and now shiny setup is here aswell.

about the 300 mark for me but that will increase as i'm planning on going over to the dark side. i'm just buying bits and bobs as they come up for sale or i see bargains to be had.
its my hobby and i don't mind shelling out for something i want.
its all a great investment after all :party:

No idea, I deliberately don't keep track. If you kept track of spend on hobbies you probably wouldn't do any.

I've spent less on it than I would have spent on beer over the same time period.

Wife pounds conversion rate:

Wife pound : £1 real value :£3

I refuse to answer further in case she reads this!

Although it is amazing how many shops have sales on!! ;)

I laughed when I saw your scale stopped at £500. I have spent a lot of money on this hobby.

Yeah I'm over a grand but I do drink a bit and still have saved myself a lot than buying the commercial stuff......home brew has TASTE as well! ;)

Runwell-Steve said:
If you kept track of spend on hobbies you probably wouldn't do any.

I know how much I spend on all of my hobbies, doesn't mean that I won't spend more on them or enjoy them just means that budget wise I know how much it's costing me.

i tend to only brew from foraged or donated ingredients, and my equipment was mostly donated from FIL, I buy yeast sometimes, and the occasional thing like an aquarium heater. I would guess that it's less than £100 a year.
Cider press and scratter were basically free DIY build, and I've had equipment nearly ten years. I don't buy DJs, as I have to buy bottled water when my mom stays so I get the large 5 litre bottles from that. I sometimes recapture yeast too.

This year there's a lot of fruit, so I'm foraging, and getting a lot of brews on - last year I didn't even make any cider.
I've started growing fruit in a veg patch, so I had rhubarb this year too.

does money spent on gardening, if the end product goes into home brew, count here as well?
even so, still probably less than £150 a year.

When I brew at home, I brew mainly monthly, more in winter, spring and autumn , less in summer

Ingredients:

1) 25kg of malt/month £300 approx
2) 400-500gms of hop/month...£250 including delivery approx
3) yeast...reused WLP002, occasional bit of fresh liquid stuff £30
4) homebrew books, £30
5) new equipment £200 approx.
6) bottle caps, sanitizer etc £30
7) bottles are free from local pub
8) labels etc £25
9) extra takeaways and junk to soak up the inevitable over indulgence £100
10) extra burgers, chicken, bread buns and salad to cater for BBQs and houseparties that transpire when I have a new brew that needs feedback £200

not to mention the extra ibuprofen, bacon butties, tea and toast to care for the hurty bonce the morning after a session

In wife pounds its about a tenner a month.. im not tellin how much i spent in real money this last year on bits n bobs towards a bigger brewkit tho If i start adding it up i will start to weep.

Latest posts

Back