What kit next? Recommend me one (or two)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord0

Reaction score
Hi all,

Given I'm new to this lark and have so far brewed the following kits:

St Peters Golden Ale
Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale
Festival Razorback IPA

Given the following:

1) I like IPAs, Golden Ales, hoppy tastes (esp: fruity and citriousy). e.g. Ghost Ship, Perfect Storm, Punk etc
2) I enjoyed dry hopping the Festival Kits and wouldn't be adverse to doing such to a kit that doesntcome with hops.
3) I do want another kit (or more): it's too early in my career to move to AG or extract brews.
4) I can't really comment on the taste of the kits I've already made as:
-- St Peters Golden Ale - I messed this up. Sure I can taste cleaner :doh:
-- Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale - first bottle tonight :pray:
-- Festival Razorback IPA - in FV (just dry hopped)

So, which kits (or kit with alterations) would you recommend? (SWMBO is asking for ideas)

Cheers

The 2 I'm drinking at the moment are the festival Belgium pale ale which is, I think, nicer than the golden stag and youngs nws which is the nicest beer I've drunk homebrew or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Young's American IPA
Bulldog four finger jack
Wilkov golden ale and buy some hop pellets off ebay

The 2 I'm drinking at the moment are the festival Belgium pale ale which is, I think, nicer than the golden stag and youngs nws which is the nicest beer I've drunk homebrew or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the Young's american kits, and the NWS and AIPA are particularly good. If the Festival Belgian pale us better then I'll give it a whirl!

Hi all,

So, which kits (or kit with alterations) would you recommend? (SWMBO is asking for ideas)

Cheers

I think that this is a feature of the St Peters golden ale

I'm another fan of the youngs craft kits.
Of the 5 i did (one repeat)
Amercan ipa (done twice)
Mocha porter
American amber ale
American pale ale (had just started ag alongside this one).

You could try one of the coopers or youngs single can kits - they will need brewing sugar or preferably dried malt extract.
I tried to make a white ipa by adding wheat spray malt to a youngs pilsner kit and a dry hop.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you go for.

Another vote for Youngs kits from me, American Amber would be my choice - one of the best kits I've ever made. Mocha Porter is a bit of a marmite brew, bit too rich for me.

Hi all,

Given I'm new to this lark and have so far brewed the following kits:

St Peters Golden Ale
Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale
Festival Razorback IPA

Given the following:

1) I like IPAs, Golden Ales, hoppy tastes (esp: fruity and citriousy).

Cheers

If you like hoppy, IPA styles, you should enjoy Woodfordes Sundew. Available from Wilco's £20

Just a suggestion. If you get yourself a sterilising product that is rinse free - I use Chemipro Oxy, but there are others - you will no longer have any concerns with future brews.

Tiny Rebel Cwtch. I still can't believe something so good can be made with a kit, it's just goergeous!

Another vote for Youngs kits from me, American Amber would be my choice - one of the best kits I've ever made. Mocha Porter is a bit of a marmite brew, bit too rich for me.

Youngs AAA All the way. Made 3 kits of this and they've all been perfect. Found the last one unlabled at the bottom of a stack of empty bottles in the garage. Bottled sept 2015. Its lovely.
Not had the same success with the IPA or APA though. The RIA is also a success but a bit bland for my tastes.

Lots of good stuff here - cheers

Think I'll take a look at the Youngs IPA/AIPAs

BTW tried first bottle of Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale - yum yum :drink:

Back