What qty of pressed fruit for a DJ and 25l carboy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinH

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been covered before - I haven't seen the answer around.

I haven't bothered too much about weighing my fruit before pressing it - I just had a guess but that's really no good either as I've no records.

If I can truthfully say I have virgin-pressed fruit with no added water, generally speaking, how much juice would I need for a DJ and for a 25ltr carboy? The fruits are Plums, Rhubarb, Elderberry, Pear and Apple.

After reading another post here, I'm looking to buy a refractometer so I know what I'm dealing with better.

Per gallon:
Most recipes, for almost everything, run between 2.5lbs (call it 1.25kilos) and 4.5lbs (call it 2kilos) of fruit. 3lbs is very typical.
Obviously, for anything strongly flavoured you're at the low end of that range, and for subtly flavoured stuff, the top end.
But, you know, whatever you do you'll make a nice drink. Usually.

10 kg of apples will comfortably fill a gallon demijohn. I have managed to fill one with 8 kg of apples, but it means a lot more hard work in the pressing.

Fruit wines like blackberries - I usually go with 2kg of fruit covered with 1.7 - 2 litres of boiling water per gallon, 1kg of sugar, and then top up to the top with a similar juice once the initial fermentation has calmed down.

Latest posts

Back