What sort of person ....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
Sunday before last, in the afternoon, I was driving to my mother's when my phone rang. As I was conveniently close to a lay-by I parked and took the call. This is a rural A road, flanked on both sides by hedges, fields and occasional woodland, and it's a drive through lay-by, separated from the main carriageway, easily long enough for a dozen vehicles, with a sandwich van during the working week.

Another car pulled in behind me. I got out of my car to stretch my legs, enjoy the countryside (and roll a ciggie). Strewn along the grass verge were a load of Co-op carrier bags. I kicked one which appeared to contain an empty wine bottle. I checked the others and they mostly seemed to contain one empty wine bottle. I exchanged glances and gestures with the other driver to signify "What's all this about? Some people need shooting".

I can't abide littering, there's no excuse for it, particularly in countryside. I've frequently walked hills and come back with a rucksack full of other people's drinks cans etc. My car gets used as a utility vehicle and there's often rubbish in the back destined for the council tip, so I opened my tailgate and scooped up the bags of bottles. The other driver applauded my actions. Of course, he could have no idea that I was a wine maker, would dispose of the carrier bags in a more appropriate manner but had other uses for the bottles.

So my first thought was "what sort of person throws a party and then dumps their bottles in a lay-by?"

Later that week I fetched the bottles from the car and was pleased to find that they were clean, still had their screw caps and the labels came away quite easily. But why so many carrier bags? These wines weren't bought by the case, they were bought individually. A dozen Co-op carrier bags with 13 Co-op Soave bottles and one Co-op Pinot Grigio. One carrier bag also contained an empty Benson & Hedges pack plus a Co-op till receipt for one bottle of Soave and ten B&H, paid in cash.

Maybe this person's a secret drinker? Calls into the Co-op every day and buys a bottle of wine, drinks that wine, re-fits the screw cap, ties the empty bottle in its carrier bag and hides the evidence in their car boot, then dumps them in a lay-by at the weekend. Maybe the Co-op had sold out of Soave on that one day, or this person simply fancied a change.

The mystery deepens: I was driving to my mother's again yesterday afternoon so just out of curiosity I drove through that same lay-by. I parked and collected 7 more Co-op carrier bags, each containing one bottle, with screw cap, bag handles tied. There's a touch of OCD here. 6 Soave and one Cabernet this time.

What sort of person does something like this? :wha:

I think your assumption of the situation is near the mark, this person's a secret drinker, my ex wife had a problem and this is the type of behaviour she would do. This person is not only drinking the bottle of wine, they are then one would think driving home???

i agree with you i hate litter too. I recon this person is depressed and needs help but dosnt want to turn to anyone ,and thats where the drink comes in to comfort this person. :(

Dieseljockey said:
This person is not only drinking the bottle of wine, they are then one would think driving home???
I can't imagine this person sitting in a rural lay-by some 5 miles from the nearest Co-op, necking the bottle of wine, dumping the empty and driving home, I think it's more likely that they are stashing the empties and then dumping a week or fortnight's worth, but they can't go in the home recycling or a partner would find them. When I get around to washing the latest batch I will check all the bags for till receipts.

Secret drinker is the only explanation I can come up with though.

Maybe it's the woman who staffs the catering van, I believe the trailer and crew member is dropped off in the mornings and picked up again later in the day, she doesn't do the driving or towing, she saves the empties in the trailer and dumps them at close of business on a Friday?

There is another answer. The person is meeting up with someone else and enjoying a bottle of wine together, with a B&H afterwards. :grin: Not wanting to take evidence home neatly ties the bag and leaves it behind.

The rest of the family weren't too eager to get up this morning so I washed those bottles. One bag did contain a till receipt for 2 bottles of Co-op Soave, paid for with cash.

Curiouser and curiouser: I've just fetched my mother for Christmas dinner and on the way there I drove through that lay-by again. One new bottle, not in a carrier bag, and this one came from Sainsbury's. But it was a Soave. That has been dumped in the last 24 hours, which rules out the sandwich van theory.

why the debris of a ruined life ?
To be an alcoholic may have been that persons goal in life, something they have striven to achieve... :D

It cant have been easy giving up all the normal things in life for the sake of the booze.

Now I can guess your thinking...hard hearted barsteward, and I apologise, but I'm afraid I've seen too many of these secret drinkers to worry over them...Its there choice, let them get on with it. There are more deserving folks in this world that get my sympathy I'm afraid. Nobody forces them to drink, same as nobody forces someone to steal. They will get my sympathy and help when they stand up, act tall and say help me please.

They do have a bit of my sympathy I guess, for choosing that way in life instead of getting on with being a useful member of society.
But the majority of alcoholics I have come across ( from all walks of life ) don't deserve sympathy, treatment yes.

Sorry if I have upset a few folks....

bobsbeer said:
There is another answer. The person is meeting up with someone else and enjoying a bottle of wine together, with a B&H afterwards. :grin: Not wanting to take evidence home neatly ties the bag and leaves it behind.

If there are a couple of "wee Caspers" lying in the dirt it could be the answer :lol:

Here we go again, holidays are over, back to work, the mystery resumes.

The road in question also forms part of my route to and from my place of employment, so I'm going to be driving through that lay-by every morning.

No bottles have been dumped since Christmas Eve (they have presumably been dumped somewhere else over the holidays) but this morning, one Co-op carrier bag containing one empty Co-op Soave bottle and an empty 10 B&H pack.

No Caspers. I know I said this lay-by was separated from the main carriageway but it's only separated by kerbstones and a 6ft strip pf grass, it offers no privacy and I can't imagine that anyone would choose that location for a romantic assignation when there are plenty of secluded country lanes in the immediate vicinity.

Take a late night trip up there and hide a GoPro or similar and see if youcan film what really happens! :whistle:

I don't know at the moment if these are being dumped by day or night, so I will try to take another look on my way home around 6pm, although it's a nasty road and it's not the sort of lay-by you would enter to your right and against the flow of traffic.

Right.... intriguing (I am a writer and could make a nice short story out of this), I have my detective hat on now and suggest the following ....

You mentioned receipts in the bags. Assuming that these purchases are fairly local, carry on collecting your bottles and receipts. Most receipts have a time of purchase as well as a date so you could see if there is a pattern. You could then stake out the Co-op around the these times and see if you can identify your secret drinker. This then opens several doors as to what you do then.

1) approach the drinker and offer to take delivery of the bottles direct to save him/her a secretive fly-tipping trip.
2) tail the drinker and see where he/she lives -- with blackmail in mind.
or
3) join the drinker in a secret supping session of sexy Soave?

Please let us know your decision.

Cheers
Ia

Are there any well known dogging areas nearby.

He may well be more of a secret dogger than secret drinker and needs a few glugs to quell his fear.

Alternatively he may hand out free cups of soave to the spectators while he sorts his missus out in the back of his Vauxhall Viva??

Either way, after some careful consideration, i definately think its dogging-related!!

This could fit the habbits of an old neighbour - he was a secret drinker who used his car to hide his stash from his wife. He would sneak out of the house for a variety of car/garden/garage related reasons and take a few swigs, and whenever he went out (he never walked) the stash went with him. I suppose he'd have to dispose of the empties somewhere secretly whilst out, whether or not he sat there emptying the bottles first I don't know but it seems quite likely.

There was also an ex-colleague who I'm pretty sure did something similar during week days, he would pop off for lunchtime and come back semi-sloshed; people were sure they saw his car parked in a nearby lane too often to be coincidence IMHO.

Cheers
Kev

I'd check the reciepts for a common date/time, and then stake out the local Co-Op.
... but only if you really want to know who it is, and why

Have you got an update Moley? The suspense is killing me.

Latest posts

Back