What's a good FV to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use speidel fv, easy to clean, good seals on lid and a tap which is at a good height, blow off on top is a good diameter for fermenting active brews.
https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/fermentation-tanks/30-litre-fermenting-vessel
The only other item I find really essential is a TILT, missus bought me this a couple of year ago in a sale. Is excellent for keeping an eye on the gravity. I’ve stuck to using MJ yeasts and all seem to ferment my wort around 6-7 days.

Just bought a cheap £7 bucket.
It's nowhere near the quality of my boots one which is probably 25 years old but will do the same job.
Maybe not for as long.

The boots one has a tap and I have started fermenting lager in my wine fermenting vessel. The plastic shoulder type with cap.
I then rack to the boots one and use the bottling wand.

Interestingly having made beaverdale 6 bottle kits, I've bought a beaverdale 30 bottle kit and it reccomends using an open bucket for fermentation rather than the shoulder type ???.

I use speidel fv, easy to clean, good seals on lid and a tap which is at a good height, blow off on top is a good diameter for fermenting active brews.
https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/fermentation-tanks/30-litre-fermenting-vessel

I've had one of those for a while now, and having used a few, I am going to go ahead and say they're probably one of the best you can get. Very easy to clean and use, and the massive airlock you can get for them is fantastic, or you can just put a tap on the top and use it as a blow off. Heck, if you don't like having a tap at the bottom, buy one anyway if you want a blow off tube, just for the top, and use the supplied cap on the bottom fitting (it doesn't come supplied with tap or airlock).

I've just bought a Brew Monk stainless steel conical (well, my wife did, for my birthday earlier this month) though. I'm done using PET FVs, they scratch so easily, and are far from easy to clean IME. I don't ferment under pressure, so honestly don't care which one does this better.

As to plastic buckets, they often find themselves pressed into use either in the garden or house and rendered unusable for brewing, so I try to avoid making them my only FVs... lol My last lot are in the garden full of rubble from when we decided it was time to clear the back a bit.... This is the problem with plastic bucket FVs, they're too darned versatile! Better to get something my wife isn't going to eye up.... lol

Hi All

As said on another post I bought a cheap Woodfords Wherry kit from Tesco so I am still using the plastic fermenting bin for my beer. I feel like I am missing out on something better so can you recommend a good fermenting vessel I can buy? I have an Inkbird temperature controller so some way of incorporating the thermometer probe into the vessel so I can monitor and control the temperature would be ideal.
I'm still buying the 40 pint kits and not moved on to anything more involved yet as I cant even seem to get the kits right either, for details you can read my first post here.

All help appreciated.
Hi,
I wouldn’t get caught up in the notion that there is something better out there. If you want to improve your brewing experience, I would venture into the world of all grain brewing. But even then, when it comes to gear. Get as big a stock pot as you can find, a grain bag and away you go. 🍻

Further to this... on your comment about not getting the kits right. I wouldn’t worry about that. Personally I find all grain a lot easier to get great results from over the kits. I have achieved a few good brews from the more expensive kits but then I found I was wasting money on a kit when great quality grain is way cheaper. Teamed with quality yeast and hops and a decent recipe. Mate you will never look back.

Latest posts

Back