whats happened to robs prices ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinxy72

Reaction score
just doing a second order from rob and noticed all the prices have jumped up ... hops have gone up by 50p per 100g and malt has gone up by 25p per kg ... now this wouldnt be too bad .. but now vat is added !!!!! extra 20% on order ...all prices prev inc vat didnt they? rob whats happened ? :shock: :shock: when orders are £70-80 is makes a huge difference

I placed an order yesterday and also noticed the price increase and that a VAT number was 'pending'.

I think his VAT status must have changed. Either because his turnover has corssed a particular threshold or he has received a ruling from his local VAT office that the goods he sells are subject to VAT.

I still think his prices and quality are hard to beat.

It does look like his business has grown to the point where he needs to be VAT registered and VAT is now being added.

At least he has been honest for the last 12 months a lot of companies just add on the VAT before they are VAT registered and just pocket the 20%. However the down side is that when you become VAT registered you have to hit you customers with a 20% hike which is hard to swallow, so really when you start up a small business you can be left between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps though you should ask Rob......................personally

Hi,

Yes, I have had to register for VAT. This has been looming for a while and I have delayed a small price increase till I had to register, so that prices didn't go up twice. Not all the prices have gone up by 20% but most have. As always I want to keep prices as low as possible and that is still the case. I am now working on getting well priced ingredients into your local home brew shop, watch this space.

Rob

jinxy72 said:
just doing a second order from rob and noticed all the prices have jumped up ... hops have gone up by 50p per 100g and malt has gone up by 25p per kg ... now this wouldnt be too bad .. but now vat is added !!!!! extra 20% on order ...all prices prev inc vat didnt they? rob whats happened ? :shock: :shock: when orders are £70-80 is makes a huge difference

Just to clarify, most prices have gone up by 20% total, the prices that you see on the site all include vat.

Rob

We have always used Rob for orders and we think his service is good. You pay for quality stuff so we dont really mind an increase in price ( well not too much anyway) :thumb:

Its a shame realy, hope people still use you rob but £30 for a bag of malt is a little too much for me with delivery on top too. :(

As I have said with VAT registering you are b*ggered which ever way you price either include the VAT from the start and be more expensive than a competitor or not include the VAT and be competitive gain a loyal following only to have to put up your prices by 20% in 12 or 18 months.

This is unfortunate as his prices are now significantly higher than another online supplier, who will now gain business. This supplier too will no doubt have to VAT register sooner or latter and prices will rise. However this doesn't help the consumer who has been too used too paying prices which were perhaps unsustainable.

Having said all of that I like Robs service and his quality is second to none, so for that reason I will remain loyal.

Alistair

I am in agreement with Alistair.

Yes, the prices have gone up, but that was inevitable really, it's still a lot cheaper than most Local Home Brew Shops even with the cost of delivery thrown in.

What difference will it have to me, the cost of the ingredients for a pint of beer will rise by approx 4p. I think I can live with that knowing that I get excellent quality fresh ingredients and excellent service.

I Home Brew to brew excellent beer, it's a hobby so I am not over concerned so long as I continue to receive the service and quality I have become accustomed to. I too will remain loyal as I like the quality and range of products on offer.

Even with the 20% VAT increase the prices are still 20% lower including delivery than my LHBS if I go pick them up myself! Also the quality is 10x better.

dont get me wrong ... ill still use rob and did place the order anyway .... for service alone he'll get my order .. its just a shock to the system :lol: :lol:

borischarlton said:
jinxy72 said:

Just to clarify, most prices have gone up by 20% total, the prices that you see on the site all include vat.

Rob

cheers for that rob .. apologies :thumb: i noticed the prices increases on the site then had the vat on the bottom of invoice .. thought it was increases THEN vat added :rofl:

jinxy72 said:
graysalchemy wrote:

I did in the original post

I meant in private not on a public forum. It would have been a bit more polite if you approached him by email or phone so as he could have explained. That way you wouldn't have run the risk of putting out mis information about a price increase and VAT being included which you inferred in your original post.

Posts like that could get out of hand and bring unwanted attention the vendor in question, which if it was my business I would not be happy about.

graysalchemy said:
jinxy72 said:
graysalchemy wrote:

.......and bring unwanted attention the vendor in question, which if it was my business I would not be happy about.

What do you mean by 'unwanted attention' grays?
Sounds like you have something to hide there :lol:

tbh, anything that brought me attention as a relatively new business would be welcome in my opinion and the point was quickly clarified.
Even with the increase, Robs prices are hard to beat for the quality you get and the service is fantastic.

Runwell-Steve said:
I am in agreement with Alistair.

Yes, the prices have gone up, but that was inevitable really, it's still a lot cheaper than most Local Home Brew Shops even with the cost of delivery thrown in.

What difference will it have to me, the cost of the ingredients for a pint of beer will rise by approx 4p. I think I can live with that knowing that I get excellent quality fresh ingredients and excellent service.

I Home Brew to brew excellent beer, it's a hobby so I am not over concerned so long as I continue to receive the service and quality I have become accustomed to. I too will remain loyal as I like the quality and range of products on offer.

+1 on that :thumb:

Well MArk unwanted attention in the form of Rob being slagged off for having to increase his prices due to something out of his control. I just feel that that could have happened as it turns out it doesn't seem to as Rob put the record straight very early on.

graysalchemy said:
jinxy72 said:
graysalchemy wrote:

I did in the original post

I meant in private not on a public forum. It would have been a bit more polite if you approached him by email or phone so as he could have explained. That way you wouldn't have run the risk of putting out mis information about a price increase and VAT being included which you inferred in your original post.

Posts like that could get out of hand and bring unwanted attention the vendor in question, which if it was my business I would not be happy about.

i havent run the risk of anything .. id already stated the order was still placed + when peeps look to order elsewhere they'd see the prices where still good and as i said robs service is fantastic. this is the point of a forum to discuss things and it was put here knowing rob is a sponsor / would read it ... hence the question to him !

any business that cant take critism shouldnt be in business ! rob quickly clarified the point / query ... cheers rob :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Well MArk unwanted attention in the form of Rob being slagged off for having to increase his prices due to something out of his control. I just feel that that could have happened as it turns out it doesn't seem to as Rob put the record straight very early on.

you need to re-read and get a grip !!!! rob was never slagged off ... period !

edit : if any mods think otherwise then pls remove the post :wha:

Back