whats to do.my first attempt at lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro68

Reaction score
hi everyone , i have just started my first lager kit , i opted for a muntons gold continental pilsner lager . The kit says to carbonate it add half a teasppon of light spray malt but i have seen you can get coopers carbonation drops , what would you suggest is best as im about to order a cider kit and would rather have something i can use for both kits .Also any other advice to help me achieve success would be great.

Cheers

Peter

When I bottled, I just used plain white sugar. Never tried the drops. I have used DME (spray malt) and had marginal success. IMHO, sugar is the way to go.

Just use ordinary white sugar for priming. No idea whether cane sugar tastes better than beet as I'm not sure whether I used Tate and Lyle (cane) or Silver Spoon (beet) or own brand (might say on the packet). Save your spray malt for primary fermentation or yeast starters.

hi , thanks for the replys , how much sugar would you recommend for priming lager in 500ml bottles if you dont mind me asking , is it in grams or a whole or half tsp .Any advice would be great.

Peter

I batch prime. If I remember rightly, I used 120g for 21L. So that's about 3g per 500mL bottle although you could use more if you like it very fizzy.

Latest posts

Back