When is it really finished?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatscold

Reaction score
My latest batch of lager appears to have finished fermenting at day 4 (pressurised fermentation at 20C). This is my first batch using an ispindel to measure the fermentation and the reported gravity has been constant (at target FG) for 24 hours. My normal practice is to leave it for 10 days then cold crash for 3 days, adding gelatine, before kegging at roughly 14 days. I just wonder if I am wasting a week and I should just cold crash now and keg in 3 more days? The perceived wisdom is that the yeast are still working now and will benefit from longer, 'clearing up' unwanted flavours etc. Maybe I’ll taste a sample tonight and if it is ok just cold crash it now.

Any thoughts?

I do ales but I just leave it alone for a few days until it sort of looks done, usually a week, and then bottle. Am I right or wrong in thinking that anything that's left behind will simply be part of the carbonation and conditioning?

Simply from reading recipes the general wisdom seems to be hit FG then 2 days for 'D' rest. If fermented at cooler temps, raise to 20C for D rest. Followed by 2 days cold crash and/or finings and keg.

If you dry hop, do that after D rest at 14C for 2 days. Longer dry hopping reportedly has no benefit but can lead to off flavours. Then cold crash and keg.

Latest posts

Back