Where do you store your bottles? Empty and full

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Regular.
Reaction score
I now have about 40 bottles full and roughly have another 100 empty bottles waiting to be filled.

We have limited space at home so I have a big (organised) pile in the garden! I was wondering what ingeneous methods you used to store your wine and what you do with your empties!

Desperatley need some inspiration please!

Many thanks

Leo

Polo_Phil said:
Shed...
Garage...
Loft...
Garden waste wheelie bin... (I compost)

Well I have a wheely bin! But we have a loft conversion and live in a terraced house!... have been thinking of 're-organising' the garden shed though!

Have you made any racks or anything like that for you full ones?

Leo

Stanleythecat said:
Well I have a wheely bin! But we have a loft conversion and live in a terraced house!... have been thinking of 're-organising' the garden shed though!

Have you made any racks or anything like that for you full ones?

Leo
Does your loft conversion not have eaves? That'd be ideal!
I've only got 39 full ones which are currently in the shed in a couple of boxes.

Empties ........ all cleaned and rinsed, ready for a dunk in sanitiser and then filling
s4otx5.jpg

The full ones, well I'm lucky, 'The Den' which is alongside the garage, is kitted out with kitchen units and all the beer gets crammed in there, another brew or two and I'll be stocked up :cheers:
67ib88.jpg

'Does your loft conversion not have eaves? That'd be ideal!'

Ideal if the wife didn't have 100's of pairs of shoes and lots of clothes in them! ... I have a shoe box sized bit for my stuff!

Stanleythecat said:
Ideal if the wife didn't have 100's of pairs of shoes and lots of clothes in them! ... I have a shoe box sized bit for my stuff!
Ah yes... SWMBO

...that's why I like the shed - she's scared of spiders :party:

alphacento said:
I store both the empty and full ones in the cellar. The advantages of a cellar is that it keep pretty much the same temperature throughout the year.

Lucky... haven't found our cellar yet!

Anyone built their own cellar... outside... above ground!? Concrete base breeze blocks + celotex maybe? probably still too much temperature change to work.

Polo_Phil said:
Stanleythecat said:
Ah yes... SWMBO

...that's why I like the shed - she's scared of spiders :party:

Trouble is she want to drink the wine too! Having your cake and eating it or what! :roll:

The Goatreich said:
Interesting! What do you store your full bottles in?

It would appear that most of the recent batch is now stored somewhere in my bloodstream as there is little left!

We have a cupboard under the stairs but it will only hold one batch of bottles. SWMBO runs her own business making chutney and it is fill of... well you guessed it! CHUTNEY! and onions and the usual hoover and shoes etc... no more room for wine. Although I am thinking of re-organising it will better shelving and a wine rack that follows the incline of the stairs, not completely practical but a better use of space.

I've got 8 x 20 bottle crates which are all currently full of full bottles which is nice but I need more. They live in an unheated outhouse.

Empties are all in nice plastic stacky box things that you get from "cheapshops" on any highstreet. They hold roughly a 23l brew's worth.

Under the floorboards. It's not strictly a cellar as it's only about three feet deep but it does the job.

Very little temperature change down there - cool in summer and winter both.

I'm a big fan of bulk ageing, so it's handy that the space is about an inch taller than a 23l carboy plus airlock. Ageing in bulk also reduces the effect of any temperature chnages there may be even down there.

It's alos handy that it's a bit hard to get to (move table, move run and open trap) so I tend to forget what's down there, meaning it gets good time to age.

Onion

Latest posts

Back