wherry how fast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ten weeks minimum - it's slow to get started, slow to ferment and very slow to clear. Nice beer though, although the yeast seems very loose towards the bottom. So it's best to have a little glass at the side, when pouring, for the last bit to go in. You should drink that bit too, because yeast is probably quite good for you, Vitamin B and all that.

I you like cloudy beer you could drink it out of the fermenter - I did and am still here. Would not say it's the best that way, though.

So - for the original question - 2-3 weeks in fermenter, including a rack to secondary if that's your gig - then 2 weeks in the warm and then 6-8 weeks in the cool.

FWIW - I've found it ok at 8 weeks in bottle and 6 weeks in barrel from pitching yeast. I do 1 week in Primary, 1 week in 2ndry with the thinking that it helps clear it quicker.

HTH
Stuart

I've got some in bottles that have been in there 8 weeks.

I've tried a bottle a week from 4 weeks onward and it's really only just getting good. Green beer ain't nice!

I think this is where I have gone wrong with this kit. I am just not patient enough :nono:

Although green beer can be nasty, I find it can often be nicer than a lot of store-bought swill!!

Best bet, bizarrely enough, is a stout.
Can't explain why, but if you read the Coopers Stout thread, it's said over again.

"I could drink this out the FV (slight exaggeration)"
"OK at 4 wks"

Etc, etc.

Personal experience backs this up - you can make a drinkable stout in a month. Won't be at its best, but closest to that I've can-opened.

Just started a wherry.

It was fermenting after 4 hours, running fast after 18 hours.

I didn't use the kit yeast but Fermentis S04...more volume of yeast.

I also pitch at around 24c and try to keep the temperature between 20c to 22c for the first and second fermentation.

I will expect to bottle this in 2 weeks and be drinking after 2 week in the bottle.

I made my Wherry to 20L and it was actually drinkable after 2 weeks once it had carbed up but wasn't as flavoursome as it was another 4 weeks later.

Coopers Stout was good early on but then develops a much stronger richer taste as it develops. That's a good one if you're in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back