Which elements required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysmok

Reaction score
I'm changing my 100l from gas to electric, my problem is that i only have standard 2.5 twin and earth to my garage going to a 30Amp fuse.

Would i be able to use this type of element?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACKER-3KW-He ... 5899257583

I was thinking of the 3kw plus a small 1.5Kw both on for a 30 minute rapid boil then down to the 1.5Kw only for a rolling boil, I'll be boiling about 50l max with my current setup.
I'm not too sure if these type of elements are good for food stuff or are they only good for heating systems?

With both on i work out i'll be at 12.5amp + 6.25amp = 18.75amps which is fine for my 28amp rated cable and 30amp fuse.

Please can anyone pull me on anything I've got wrong and recommend any elements I would be best to use.

I think that most people will use 2x elements so they dont have to fiddle with proper electrical installations.

If you want to run something like that its advised to get a proper electrical feed put in (make sure you earth all your pots as well!).

The advantage of using two of the smaller elements is that you can run them from rated extention leads or easily put in wiring for them.

I do like the look of that however.

D

Unless very, very well insulated I think you'll be struggling to get a rolling boil with 1.5kw at 50ltr.
I reckon the minimum would be 2.3kw, based on my experience of a non lagged 46ltr brew struggling to keep a rolling boil with 2.3. You might be best using just the 3kw for the rolling boil.

Split and moved here Andy for more visibility :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
Unless very, very well insulated I think you'll be struggling to get a rolling boil with 1.5kw at 50ltr.
Agree. I manage a 30l rolling boil with one 2.4kW element. Then again, my SS pot isn't insulated but even so I think you'd be doing well.

On a test run (water only) my 30lt mango boiler easily holds a rolling boil with just one tesco kettle element, not sure how many kwatt's they are!
I bring it up to the boil with the 2 then turn one off with no problems ;)
It's a vigerouse boil too.

I think they are 2.2kw.

Where have you positioned the tap? Is it low as possible? Only as as I am about to build one and am worried about the curve at the bottom. Should it go higher up the use the syphon effect to get as much of the wort out as possible?

alanywiseman said:
Where have you positioned the tap? Is it low as possible? Only as as I am about to build one and am worried about the curve at the bottom. Should it go higher up the use the syphon effect to get as much of the wort out as possible?

Who me?

I have positioned it on the slightly downward facing bottom part of the barrel.
It's about 1inch from the bottom of the barrel with an outer flexy pipe mesh style filter so i won't get a syphon effect from mine but the hopps and break material will just about fill that area out so i'll only lose a bit of wort maybe 1/2 a litre in amongst all the mess!

Andyhull said:
alanywiseman said:

Who me?

I have positioned it on the slightly downward facing bottom part of the barrel.
It's about 1inch from the bottom of the barrel with an outer flexy pipe mesh style filter so i won't get a syphon effect from mine but the hopps and break material will just about fill that area out so i'll only lose a bit of wort maybe 1/2 a litre in amongst all the mess!

Cheers :thumb:

Back