Which Hops would you never use again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I won a load of Superdelic so did a few beers to try it out, they say it has a candy/red fruit flavour and there's a definite sweetness to it.

I'm sure it would suit fruity hazy styles but I'm not a fan of those so unlikely I'd use it again. Still got a bit in the freezer to use up. A few people really liked the NZ Pilsner (I found it drinkable but slightly odd, not to style) so might do another one to use it up...

Yeah I won a load of Superdelic so did a few beers to try it out, they say it has a candy/red fruit flavour and there's a definite sweetness to it.

I'm sure it would suit fruity hazy styles but I'm not a fan of those so unlikely I'd use it again. Still got a bit in the freezer to use up. A few people really liked the NZ Pilsner (I found it drinkable but slightly odd, not to style) so might do another one to use it up...
I think it was the sweetness that I didn't particularly like. I have some left and I think a hazy might be the way to go with it.

Willamette - tasted like potpourri belurgh

Also agree Mandarina Bavaria underwhelming

Be careful which hops you use for bittering. I am reading 'The New IPA' by Scott Janish and he talks about how certain hops can impart 'kettle aroma' (spicy, woody, earthy) when used for bittering. He also gives a list of the more neutral hops for bittering, like Galaxy and CTZ. So if you are making a hoppy beer, your choice of bittering hop could affect the overall flavour of the beer and perhaps make you think your late edition hop isn't all it's cracked up to be.

https://scottjanish.com/the-new-ipa-scientific-guide-to-hop-aroma-and-flavor/

Last edited:
Only time I had some bad brews down to the hops was with some free Ekuanot I got thrown in with an order, but I assumed they must have been kept badly. Smelled terrible. I think they were also supposedly T45 pellets and that was the only time I've ever used them which could be a factor. I've since had quite a few bought beers that used Ekuanot and liked them.

Nelson Sauvin
Not so much that I don't like it. More that I don't know what to combine it with.

I tried in once in a SMASH to see what it tasted like.
My conclusion: not too bad, but I can't find a use for it.
I put it in a straight, no-frills pilsner once and it came out OK.

Harlequin.

Made a single hop golden ale with it, and it just tasted a bit odd. Very mandarin like.

Not to say I wouldn’t use it with other hops, just not on its own.
I accidentally put it in a mild once- I would never have thought of using it there ordinarily. It now goes in all my mild and gives it a cannabis sort of flavour. Far out, man!

Latest posts

Back