Which press is best?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomme homme

Regular.
Reaction score
Originally I posted the following as an afterthought on another thread (Scrumpy making with Ollie) but it achieved limited feedback - which is hardly surprising as only those subscribing to or chancing to read that thread would have been aware of it! So I thought that I would transfer it to a bespoke thread in the hope of getting more feedback.

Whilst I know that the rack and cloth press, with its stack of cheeses, is the traditional way to press apples for making cider, does anyone know whether, in general terms, such a press is more or less efficient than a basket press?

I use a 160 litre capacity basket press to press my apples - simply because, living close to the wine producing regions of western France, such was far easier to come by (at least in a practical size - one that I was offered was so large that I thought of converting it to a jacuzzi!).

It's a manual press and even if I exercise patience and apply maximum physical force to the bar, when I remove the spent pomace from it the 'core' is always still moist. This is, I suspect, because the outermost layers become so compacted that they prevent any further juice flowing from the 'core'. A rack and cloth press, with its stack of cheeses, presumably does not have this problem as each cheese 'works' independently of the others and, I surmise, can express more juice from the pomace for the same application of pressure as on a basket press. Is this theory correct?

Whilst I appreciate that the amount of juice expressed depends, additionally, on the apple variety (I use mainly Clochard), the ripeness of the apples (I try for the maximum possible by picking late and leaving the apples in bins for a week or more before milling) and how finely the pomace has been milled (I use a 13 hp petrol engined semi-professional shredder to mill my pomace), as a rule of thumb I'd say that I can obtain between 100 and 120 litres of juice from each pressing (the basket being full to within two or three centimetres of the rim - don't ask the weight of its contents, because I don't know). If it is possible to say, how does this compare to the results achieved by a rack and cloth press with a stack of cheeses?

I've seen basket presses adapted by adding an electric motor to rotate the head on the screw and thereby achieve more pressure on the 'lid' and thus the pomace. Presumably the same approach could be taken by using an hydraulic ram (either manually or electrically powered). However what worries me about that is the potential to damage the press. Mine is not new and I don't know how much pressure the structure could take without there being 'tears before bedtime'! Has anyone tried this with a basket press and, if so, are they prepared to divulge the outcome?

I read this topic to point you in the direction of somebody to answer your question - yourself. hahah. I'll have a flick through the cider making books I have and see if there's any material in there :)

Consider using a whole fruit juicer rather than a shredder. They are relatively inexpensive, remove most of the juice and the ejected slushy pulp is easy to press. 6 kg apples yields 4 litres of juice and the pressed pulp will give you another 0.5 litres.

I've often wondered if it's possible to create a hybrid from a basket press, by adding the 'bagged' pomace in layers with circular racks in between.

Hi Pomme, I guess it comes down to quantity, which in your case is rather a lot!
You can get a vast amount in an old fashioned 'chesse' press.
The Cider Museum where I did my pressing still use a huge vintage press for people who turn up with enough apples to use it. I believe they also still use straw in the cheese building. It gets left over night for the juice to drain with the weight on it.
Whether that would be quicker or easier for you, I wouldn't like to guess. You could do several small pressings in the time you had to wait for one big one to drain.

Thank you all.

Having regard to the quantities with which I've worked this year - but accepting that this has been exceptional - I don't think that a whole fruit juicer would be a practical proposition. In any event, my shredder produces a pomace that has the consistency of thick, chunky apple sauce. If it were any less viscous, I suspect that it would be impossible to press using my equipment. I fear that it would just squirt out under pressure!

I see two major problems with a hybrid press. Firstly, the cheeses would have to be formed like giant polos. They'd need a hole in the middle to accomodate the screw! Secondly, I fear that the juice would flow less freely because of the counter-pressure that the lathes would exert on the cheeses. But maybe this could be mitigated by removing every other lathe?

I wonder if the are any medium size rack and cloth presses? I've seen images of many smaller, modern home made presses and I'm aware of the huge, traditional farm presses. But surely, somewhere along the road of time, there has been the need for rack and cloth presses which can accomodate significant, but not immense, quantities of milled apple. The equivalent, in capacity, to my 160 litre basket press. Does anyone know? Has anyone seen one?

pomme homme said:
I see two major problems with a hybrid press. Firstly, the cheeses would have to be formed like giant polos. They'd need a hole in the middle to accomodate the screw!

You must have a spindle, rather than crossbeam basket press, something like this? - I've met the guy that owns it.

screwing%20down%20press.jpg

I've used this model of Rack & Cloth Press Link a few times and the juice extraction rate is at least 15% greater than from a basket press, and possibly more as the efficienty of basket presses appears to reduce as they increase in capacity. If you're only getting 50% and can up it to 75% that's an awful lot of extra juice.

Have you also considered a hydro (bladder) press? http://www.winegrowers.info/wine_equip/presses/info.htm

My take on it is that the basket type is great for smaller amounts but the big , open rack press with cheeses is better for large , very large amounts where you can load in a huge stack and leave it for some time , maybe tightening up as you go . I have also seen the pressed cheeses taken out and re stacked in a different order and orientation to the boards/slats and pressed again .

I agree very much on PHs point about not wanted the apples chopped too fine or puree'd . I lost a large amount this year doing just that , getting them to a smooth puree . It can cause all kinds of problems all the way down the line . In the press in cheeses (which work best with very loose weave material) a smooth puree will ooze out rather then give juice and leave the solids behind . Also true of the basket press . Its very hard to get the solids out of suspension as they then block up filters and dont even drop out in the FV . Never again ! Not for Mama Shocks's little boy , anyway !

Looked at those cool links , excellent stuff , thank you ! I can see the hydraulic one being a bit of a potential nightmare if one is a little accident prone (this one is!) and something like ,ooh , I dunno.....the bag getting torn ,say , happened . All the juice diluted explosively , I can definitely see that happening to me . :(

Just my experience/opinion . You guys doing it now are much more clued up than I ever was ! :clap: :thumb:

shocker said:
Its very hard to get the solids out of suspension as they then block up filters and dont even drop out in the FV

Stirring in 1 teaspoon of pectolase/gall into the pressed juice has always got every bit of sediment to drop from pressed juice within an hour, but unless it's summer you need to bring it indoors to do it's work. It's why I get my pectolase in 1 Kg bags.

Whilst I was looking at the images of the most impressive rack and cloth press at viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19445&p=199535#p199535, it did occur to me that one of the advantages that a basket press has over the like of that is that I can just tip the pomace in (all 160 litres of it), put the two semicircle sections of the lid in place, insert the required number of blocks on top of that and start screwing down, whereas with the rack and basket press it is necessary to make x number of cheeses before starting to screw down. Assuming a cheese of, say, 50 cm by 50 cm, would anyone care to say - or guess, if they haven't done it - how long it takes to make up each cheese?

have a look here you can make the wood press wot size you like as i going to use a big bottle jack
have a look at this guy here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFipzfSe ... er&list=UL :thumb:

pomme homme said:
Whilst I was looking at the images of the most impressive rack and cloth press at viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19445&p=199535#p199535, it did occur to me that one of the advantages that a basket press has over the like of that is that I can just tip the pomace in (all 160 litres of it), put the two semicircle sections of the lid in place, insert the required number of blocks on top of that and start screwing down, whereas with the rack and basket press it is necessary to make x number of cheeses before starting to screw down. Assuming a cheese of, say, 50 cm by 50 cm, would anyone care to say - or guess, if they haven't done it - how long it takes to make up each cheese?

David said:
shocker said:
Its very hard to get the solids out of suspension as they then block up filters and dont even drop out in the FV

Stirring in 1 teaspoon of pectolase/gall into the pressed juice has always got every bit of sediment to drop from pressed juice within an hour, but unless it's summer you need to bring it indoors to do it's work. It's why I get my pectolase in 1 Kg bags.

Where do you get the kg bags of pectolase from? any links please??

i made my own rack and cloth press, the square frame for the cheese was 40cm to start with and reduced to 30cm for the second pressing. It probably wasn't deep enough, so I had to use more cheeses. I could have left the fully pressed cheeses in place as juice was still flowing, but I kept adding slightly more pressure every few minutes or so, and eventually the car jack that I was using slipped out, the large blocks of wood fell on the floor, and I lost some of the juice - I was originally going to go with a bascket press, but was too difficult to manufacture with my limited skills, tools, and 'foraged' supply of wood. Each pressing took about two hours.

Back