Which thermowell for STC1000?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK, I'm finally looking to make up a fermentation fridge. I've got my eye on a couple in my local freeads, and I can get a reasonably cheap tube heater from an electrical wholesaler. I presume something around 15W will be ok?

Mainly though, I'd like to get the temperature of the wort using a thermowell. If I was to buy this controller http://www.homebrewbuilder.co.uk/temp control.html what sort of size thermowell would I need for that probe?

I was really tempted by the BrewPi, as I loved the geeky idea of being able to control the temperature via a web interface, and get graphs etc, the end product doesn't look as good as the homebrewbuilder version.

I wouldn't bother , many tests have been done (including myself) and it is best it seems to tape the probe onto the fv around 3/4 up and with some insulation over it and in the first 24/36hrs just keep the fridge temp 2c lower than you want the brew to be then after that reset to actual temp wanted . This is because the yeast creates heat in the first stage . Imo easiest is the best .

yes , overall as it's a liquid getting the temp in the fridge stable is the best idea . Having the probe direct in the wort can mean the temp if at the bottom would be out or if at the very top etc so it's easier to have it fixed and if fixed on the side it will quickly be the same as inside the fv (use some tape and some foil ) someone worked the science out and the temp on the side if insulated would be the same as inside but less likely to rise and lower ( cuz in a fixed stable postion )
Also no extra worries of infecting beer

I recently got one from these people off ebay http://www.southerntemp.co.uk/products/pockets-and-thermowells/ The STC probe just fits

I use a 30L plastic bucket and got a 200mm long one and fitted it through a grommet in the lid. I've only used it once, but once temperature is stabilised the temperature reading is a lot more steady than when I had the probe taped to the side. By having the probe in the wort you can take account of the heat the initial fermentation creates.

Is there any risk do you think of the thermowell fittings causing an infection in the beer? Things like the thread and fittings will have lots of little nooks.

pittsy said:
I wouldn't bother , many tests have been done (including myself) and it is best it seems to tape the probe onto the fv around 3/4 up and with some insulation over it and in the first 24/36hrs just keep the fridge temp 2c lower than you want the brew to be then after that reset to actual temp wanted . This is because the yeast creates heat in the first stage . Imo easiest is the best .
Why do you set it 2C lower to start with? Won't the probe detect any increase in temperature?

The Goatreich said:
Is there any risk do you think of the thermowell fittings causing an infection in the beer? Things like the thread and fittings will have lots of little nooks.

With a plastic bucket all that goes through the lid via a rubber grommet is the pocket itself, which is stainless and if properly sanitised there is very little risk of infection

FYI, just my take on the subject..
I did my own limited tests recently with a well insulated SS FV, water and temp change applied externally (inside insulation).

measuring the temp of the water inside at varying distances from the wall where the change was effected it became clear that by the time the target temp was hit at the centre point the outer volume closer to the change was a good few degrees over target,

my conclusion was when applying change externally to the FV measure that change close to the application of change to avoid over shooting the target in the bulk. the application sessions will be smaller and it will take slightly longer to hit target but it will be less likely to overshoot causing a control system to chase itself.

With an active fermentation and co2 rising thru the beer the rate at which the temperature change moves thru the liquid could be more significant than with still water?

Good Ed said:
[quote="The Goatreich":3hcrxoq8]Is there any risk do you think of the thermowell fittings causing an infection in the beer? Things like the thread and fittings will have lots of little nooks.

With a plastic bucket all that goes through the lid via a rubber grommet is the pocket itself, which is stainless and if properly sanitised there is very little risk of infection[/quote:3hcrxoq8]
Through the lid?? Is the thermowell quite long then? I normally have quite a significant headspace between my brew and the FV lid.

The Goatreich said:
Through the lid?? Is the thermowell quite long then? I normally have quite a significant headspace between my brew and the FV lid.

If you look at the link I gave you up the page a bit, they range in length from 50mm to 300mm.

The Goatreich said:
ah I see, so does the probe reach all the way down to the end of the thermowell then, or do you have to buy an extra long probe?

A thermowell or thermopocket is just a tube into which you insert your temperature probe. In the case of an STC 1000 you just insert the plastic probe down to the bottom of the tube.

Latest posts

Back