Why bother with brew days. This kit is stonking.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have all been there.. Right?
Too much on to brew and not enough beer in stock.

So have you ever grabbed a kit, made it up quick. It's come out so soo good, you have thought..
"Why bother with brew days. This kit is stonking"

So have you ever grabbed a kit, made it up quick. It's come out so soo good, you have thought..
Mashbag, sounds like you have so don't keep us in suspense! Which kit?

I do the occasional kit, generally a brewfferm but they need months so not a quick fix...

unlike a weissbeer....

28/05/2019 - wheat beer - 50th beer met orange
3 kg dwe
500g GS
MJ Bavarian yeast
100 saaz 2.2% alpha- 20 min boil in 4.5 litres of water
21.5 litres - 1059 -1017 pitched at 26
5.51%

as close to a kit as you can get, very quick. do a reduced volume hop boil and I used almost frozen 2l bottles of water to bring temp down. dead easy.

I suspect that maybe you have wink...

You know I am a windbag and couldn't keep it to myself if I had. Dad_of_John sounds like he had a nice answer to the problem... But it isn't a kit.

Yes... Yes... I know it's almost as quick. But the title said kit. And there doesn't appear to be one. Which is dirty of scarry. It means there is no way back from AG, unless to start drinking rum 🙂 (or filthy tap water 🤣🤣 sorry could not help myself)

I’m currently drinking a kit beer (Mangrove Jacks Kveik IPA) it’s not bad, it’s hoppy, easy to drink and filled a keg when I just couldn’t get a dry Saturday to brew outside on.

But it’s not good enough that I would switch back to just brewing kits.

The only kit I’ve tried that comes anywhere near AG is the Muntons Hazy. With some extra dry hops it was really very good indeed. I may need to do some quick brews and this would be one of them.

Done about 5 can kits but never done one that didn't taste like it was obviously a kit. I know they need a lot longer to condition than an all grain, so maybe they would get nicer after a long time say 6 months. DME also gives a distinctive flavour although I don't find it as noticeable

And to note, I brew at ambient temps which is bound to have an effect but when I brew all grain it's not an issue as I switch to brewing saisons etc when the temperature goes more than low 20s

Last edited:
I detest working with LME I just prefer to use DME and stir the life out of it to mix it in rather than get the last gloopy bits out by swilling with hot water. I also hate opening the cans. It's usually too hot to hold the can properly. I did have to buy muntons dark LME for my last brew because the DME equivalent was out of stock. So can kits are a rare occurance for me. I so have the same problem when squeezing grain or hop bags they are usually a bit too hot. I don't wear gloves as that's another thing to sanitize. My hands are statrsaned before the squeeze starts.

Latest posts

Back