Wildly out of date pectolase

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

johnc86

Reaction score
Hello, folks. Haven't done any homebrew for years but in the face of impending Armageddon I've decided to have a bash at making some wine! I picked up up a sachet of wine yeast, some citric acid and some yeast nutrient when I was in wilko over the weekend. The other thing I think I'm going to need is pectolase, but I forgot to get it. I think I might struggle to get it it now with everything being on lockdown (without going online), had wanted to make a start tomorrow or Wednesday....

I found some pectolase with my old home brewing stuff in the loft. Best before date 2012!

Will it still do the job? Or should I my order some online and just wait for it to come? I'm an inpatient sod.

Cheers 😁

johncrobinson

Landlord.
Reaction score
Try a WOW with clear juice,Its allready been doctored.

Most chemicals have an unlimited shelf life but not sure about pectolase
Pushed to make a guess i would say its ok as long as has not been heated.

Take salt for example you will find a best before date on the pack of a few months/year.But dont forget it has been in the ground for Millions of years.!!!!

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I rarely make wine, so the pectolase tub gets looked into once every three or four years. In my experience, if it's still a powder, it's fine. If it's beginning to clump together it's suspect but probably better than nothing, if it's turned into a solid mass then it's got damp and had probably degraded and is best thrown away.
There's loads available on Amazon if you can't get it elsewhere.

Latest posts

Group Builder