Wilko 12L Stock Pot...isnt 12L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I used my fairly recently bought 12L Wliko stock pot to do a maxi-biab for the first time today. I did the, 'how much water and grain can I fit in' calculations based proportionaly on my previous 18.5L pot. But there was much more head room than there should have been. But I just put it down to me being hopeless at maths and I'd done the calculations wrong. I just planned to re-adjust the grain and water amount next time.

Normally with my Maxi-BiaB proceedure I just do the boil and as the boil off occurs I keep the pot topped up with boiling water to the maximum I think I can get away with without a boil-over. Then I jug the wort through a seive, to strain the hops out, into my no-chill FV and seal.
My no-chill FV has graduations on it. I was somewhat surprised to see it reading 13L! As mention I keep the pot topped up to as much as I can from the brim which usually means there's about 1/2L left. So unless my particular pot is able to bend the laws of physics, it's 13.5L not 12L. I'm not complaining mind - it just means I can make more beer in one go :party:
The only other possible explantion I can think of is that the graduation marking on my coopers no-chill FV are wrong. But I use them when making my dilution calculations and they're always spot on.

Hi!
Using the measurements on the Wilko website it should be 16 litres brim full, but that sounds unlikely.

Really? Surely someone at wilko must be able to do the maths and work out that the figures on the site are wrong? So they say it's advertised as 12L, mine at least, is 13.5L and the figures say it should be 16L. They should call it a wilko pot luck rather than a wilko stock pot :lol:

Really? Surely someone at wilko must be able to do the maths and work out that the figures on the site are wrong? So they say it's advertised as 12L, mine at least, is 13.5L and the figures say it should be 16L. They should call it a wilko pot luck rather than a wilko stock pot :lol:
Why not weigh your pot on the bathroom scales in kg , fill it with water to where you think it is 'full', then reweigh it. The difference is the weight of water and is equivalent to the working capacity of your pot in litres since the density of water is 1 kg/litre or as near as makes no difference. Simples :thumb:

You're lucky. My one off ebay was suppose to be 15L. I might be able to get 15L "in" there, but I'd have to rely on surface tension to let it bulge out the top!

Looks fine to me. Measurements with and without handles. The volume of the outside might equate to 16l but that doesnt take into account the thickness of the metal or the curve at the base which could account for why you are incorrectly getting 16l. The 13.5 rather than 12l means they are selling them in a reputable way by declaring the capacity as the volume it is designed for rather than "to the brim" that less reputable people would advertise.

The volume of the outside might equate to 16l but that doesnt take into account the thickness of the metal or the curve at the base which could account for why you are incorrectly getting 16l.

Hi!
The dimensions shown on Wilko's website suggest an overall capacity of 16 litres. If it's capacity is 13.5 litres that would leave about 2.5 litres as the volume of the metal making up the pot. That would mean a wall thickness of about 1cm, even allowing for the curve at the base.
I suggest that the dimensions quoted by Wilko are not accurate.

My Burco Cygnet boiler has the opposite problem, haven't tested for sure but no way can you fit 30l in there

My previous aluminium stock pot was the same. It was supposed to be 20L but once I filled it to the brim with water then measured how much was in their with measuring jugs. It was only 18.5L

Hi!
The dimensions shown on Wilko's website suggest an overall capacity of 16 litres. If it's capacity is 13.5 litres that would leave about 2.5 litres as the volume of the metal making up the pot. That would mean a wall thickness of about 1cm, even allowing for the curve at the base.
I suggest that the dimensions quoted by Wilko are not accurate.

The height and width are with and without handles. Does the height maybe include the lid????

Does it really matter?

I think to avoid complaining customers and shop returns it would need to be able to accept and boil 12 litres of soup/stock or whatever without boiling over. 12 litres of cold liquid to the brim wouldn't cut it.

Any idea if this will work on an induction hob?

I know very little about induction hobs but I learned from a craigtube vid that they work by magnetism and to see if a pot is suitable for an induction hob a magnet has to be able to stick to the bottom. I've just tried it with one of my fridge magnets and it doesnt stick

I know very little about induction hobs but I learned from a craigtube vid that they work by magnetism and to see if a pot is suitable for an induction hob a magnet has to be able to stick to the bottom. I've just tried it with one of my fridge magnets and it doesnt stick

thanks for checking.

When we got the new hob, I stupidly checked one pot and the magnet stuck...guess what the rest didnt.Tthe whole drawer full! Wasn't popular with SWMBO who had to go get a whole new set of pans, woks, fry pans etc etc

thanks for checking.

When we got the new hob, I stupidly checked one pot and the magnet stuck...guess what the rest didnt.Tthe whole drawer full! Wasn't popular with SWMBO who had to go get a whole new set of pans, woks, fry pans etc etc

I bet not :lol:

I really like the look of those buffalo induction hobs though but I do ok with my gas hob. It's enough for my 13.5L pot

To be honest the stock pot hasn't been replaced yet, and I am in the process of looking how to make a corner of our shed/garage into a brew kitchen so the buffalo hob is on my radar. But would be good to have one that SWMBO can also use in the autumn when making pickles and jams etc.

Their jam pan instructions say 'do not wash' and 'not suitable for a dishwasher' - it' s solid stainless steel for Pete's sake!

Customer services are hopeless too.

Col P.

Back