Wilko newkie brown ake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Reaction score
Hi can i ask just about to start a Wilko newkie brown was going to add some muntons 1kg beer enhancer. 500g spray malt and gervin ale yeast and some Brown sugar would this be ok or is it overkill don't want to balls it up thanks.

My first few kits I always added too much sugar and never left it long enough. Was always too sweet and green. Now I stick to no more than 500g spray malt and 1kg brewing sugar or 1kg brew enhancer and 500g brewing sugar.

Always leave for 2 weeks regardless what the instructions say.

FYI brew enhancer is 50/50 mix sugar and spray malt. Think it's medium, I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Stay with the recipe is my advice!

The Wilco Sweet Newkie Brown below was poured on the 4th June. It was started on the 30th December 2019 and the last few pints are still delicious.

Enjoy!

IMG_1753.jpg

Dutto did u just use dextrose? I've been craving a dryer/crisper beer as I've been finding a lot of beer (not just homebrew) too sweet.

All the advice I've ever seen on here always says add spray malt to one can kits so it's something I've always done but I'm tempted to try one with just sugar just don't wanna end up regretting it.

If your looking for dryer/crisper your definately going to want some sugar in there. I'd suggest using 1kg of brew enhancer as you'll be getting 500g of sugar

Thanks myqul I'll try that next as I normally add the 500g spray malt in addition to 1kg dextrose.

Johnd when I've added brown sugar to beer in the past I've ended up with a Xmas pudding/dried fruit flavour, whilst not unpleasant it wasn't what I was going for!

Sorry Scotty, are you saying leave all kits in the original FV for two weeks?
That's often the usual advice unless
- the SG is still going down
- want to package earlier and you have checked the SG and its been stable for two consecutive days
When you get some experience under your belt you can fine tune timing.
Leaving it longer in the FV helps it clear and allows the yeast to clean up.

Back