Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

terrym

Reaction score
My understanding is that anything added to the wort that contains preservatives is to be avoided since it inhibits yeast activity, although I suppose small amounts could be tolerated.
If you want to enhance your kit why not add some extra hops either as a dry hop or a hop tea. In my view that is by far the best way to improve a kit.

Last edited:

Session

Regular.
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing this kit again in the coming days and I want to step it up a little from my last brew. As well as using mineral water (only £1 for 5 litres from Iceland) I want to add some Volvic Lemon and Lime Sugar Free mineral water. My slight concern is that reading the ingredients, it states Volvic mineral water 99.6%, Acid (Citric Acid), Natural Lemon and Lime Flavouring with other natural flavourings. Preservative (Potassium Benzoate), Sweeteners (Acesulfame K, Sucralose).
As these additional additives only equate to 4% of the total, will I be able to just add this to the normal mineral water, or will I have to boil it first to remove these. If its the second option, will I then lose the lemon and lime flavouring? If yes, then of course there is no point.
Has anyone else tried this? Just trying to enhance the flavour of the finished product a little.
Any tips or ideas very welcome..... ;-)

Barley.
I’m not sure what you are aiming for with the addition... do you want it to have a lemon/lime flavour? If so you could steep lemon and lime zest in vodka and add that to your brew, or boil the zests in a small amount of water for ten minutes and add the decoction to your FV once cooled to room temperature.

I personally wouldn’t start adding artificially sweetened drinks to a beer as I don’t know how they would affect the fermentation. It may be fine - I just haven’t done it before.

Barley Rubble

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you are aiming for with the addition... do you want it to have a lemon/lime flavour? If so you could steep lemon and lime zest in vodka and add that to your brew, or boil the zests in a small amount of water for ten minutes and add the decoction to your FV once cooled to room temperature
Yes I wanted to give it a lemony/lime hint of flavour. I like the idea of boiling up some lemon and lime zests and using the water from that. Sounds like a plan.

Barley Rubble

Reaction score
My understanding is that anything added to the wort that contains preservatives is to be avoided since it inhibits yeast activity, although I suppose small amounts could be tolerated.
If you want to enhance your kit why not add some extra hops either as a dry hop or a hop tea. In my view that is by far the best way to improve a kit.
I thought that as it was such a small amount, 4% or so, that it wouldn't necessarily affect the beer, but perhaps an addition of hops might be a better course of action.

Bigcharlie

Reaction score
I'm a newbie. I did this wilko cerveza recently and added some lime cordial undiluted. Seen it on YouTube. Turned out great. Will do it again.

terrym

Reaction score
I'm a newbie. I did this wilko cerveza recently and added some lime cordial undiluted. Seen it on YouTube. Turned out great. Will do it again.
Bloody hell.
Lager and lime.
Trendy drink of the 1970s.
Only outdone by lager and blackcurrant athumb..

Derren

Reaction score
Quite like this idea.... how much did you add?

alice-edmund

Reaction score
As an update on my brew; it has cleared (though it's not crystal bright) - and certainly tastes OK to me. Sediment in bottle is quite loose. I'd give it another go sometime but have picked up a Coopers Euro lager to try first