Wilko's pressure barrel leaking at tap seal (2nd ferm..)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indewildemanfan

Reaction score
As the topic title says it's been leaking at the tap seal. It seems to be when pressure builds. I released a bit of pressure from the top cap to combat this and it gets better for a while and then starts seeping/leaking a bit again. Could this be due to me not using the supplied barrel cap (I assume it has built in pressure valve) with a gas-cyclinder cap? Could it be that the gas-cylinder cap is not releasing the pressure? Not had this problem when using the non-gas cyclinder cap.

I look at this with interest as I purchased a £16 Wilko PB in the sale...... my first brew will be going in it!

I will have a hambleton bard s30 cylinder on top of mine with the associated cap which I purchased from the home brew shop

:tongue:

:electric:

I had exactly the same.

Release all the pressure, then tighten the tap as far as you can (careful not to overtighten and snap it off like my friend did)

After this, inject it with co2 to re-pressurise

Is the general consensus that these PB are no good?. Not racked my brew into my PB as yet but I might be this weekend if it has stopped fermenting........

I will be mega annoyed if it leaks all over the carpet........

:evil:

Andysbrew said:
Is the general consensus that these PB are no good?

No, quite the opposite - I prefer them to the more expenisve PB's like King Kegs. They just take a bit of getting used to.

I'm wondering if you've over-primed and/or kegged before it's finished, therby still generating excess CO2? I have had a leaky tap due to excess pressure, but it tends to be the exception rather than the norm. I usually start drawing off the odd half to release some pressure once the PB deforms enough for the feet to rise off the surface. At least with these PBs you know when you have pressure, unlike King Kegs and the like - had a couple of ruined brews with these due to CO2 leaking out.

Stick with it, you'll get used to them.

Have you lubricated the seals on both the tap and the cap, only a bit it needed but it really helps as the seal doesn't get distorted as much when tightening.

Latest posts

Back