Will my element work for upgrade?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamekeepa

Reaction score
I have 32ltr electrim boiler which I use for all grain brewing and I'm looking to move onto a 70ltr stainless steel boiler. The one I have in mind comes with a sight glass, thermometer and they will drill out for an electric element too. Will the element I have be ok to boil that amount of wort or will it be too weak or take too long to get to a boil. I'm not able to move to gas so need to stick with electric.
If it is too weak can I add a second element and run them together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth adding another element and running two - if your electrics in your house/shed/garage will allow (they should do).

I did the very same, I already ran two elements in a Peco boiler and upgraded to a SS pot from maltmiller, moving the elements across - mine is 50litre, maltmiller will cut the holes for £10 each cut iirc:

P1000209.JPG

P1000210.JPG

Worth adding another element and running two - if your electrics in your house/shed/garage will allow (they should do).

I did the very same, I already ran two elements in a Peco boiler and upgraded to a SS pot from maltmiller, moving the elements across - mine is 50litre, maltmiller will cut the holes for £10 each cut iirc:

Nice pot. Tempted with one of those

I did the very same, I already ran two elements in a Peco boiler and upgraded to a SS pot from maltmiller, moving the elements across - mine is 50litre, maltmiller will cut the holes for �£10 each cut iirc:

Just a quick question. Do you use a dual socket for these? My understanding is that the elements are 10amp each, and the dual sockets are approved for 20amp max, so it is border-line. Do the sockets ever feel hot?

The element I currently have is connected to a digital unit with a temperature probe with fits into a thermowell. Do you think I should fit the second element completely separately or can I wire it into the same box? Or something else I was thinking is should I ditch the current unit and wire two new elements into an ST1000 like I've used on my fermentation fridges so they both cut in and out at the same time. Or is two elements too much for one unit? I like the digital temperature control unit as I only use one boiler for heating strike water and for boiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick question. Do you use a dual socket for these? My understanding is that the elements are 10amp each, and the dual sockets are approved for 20amp max, so it is border-line. Do the sockets ever feel hot?

Not sure what ampage mine are but I run two on an extension cable.

I run mine off 2 different sockets in the garage

Latest posts

Back