wine stirring.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam51

Reaction score
hi all, after adding the stabiliser for wine,
it says to stir it 3 to 4 times a day for 4 days.
is this crucial, as at work all day,
thanks sam.

This process refers to 'de-gassing' the wine..

Where your wine has been sat in the fermenter, bubbling away, it will retain a certain level of carbon dioxide, or CO2.

What they are basically doing is asking you to 'remove' the CO2 from your wine in order to make it 'flat' - very much like the wine you get from the shops.

Essentially if your out all day, it doesn't matter.

What matters is that prior to bottling the wine, you remove all CO2.

Some vigorously stir. Some shake. Some use a de-gassing tool which fits to a power tool and some do nothing and like fizzy wine !!!

Personally, i have bought a de-gassing 'wine whip'. This is an item that is roughly £10 delivered and fits to a drill. You sterilise it, fit it to your favourite Black N Decker and give your wine that 'what for' for 10mins. This removes all CO2 and allows you to leave the wine to one side to clear then ultimately bottle at your leisure.

WW

Sam i also use a home made degassing wand which i made following the steps in the video below, it only takes a couple of minutes to degas a DJ and and unlike the shake it method you only do it the once.
I used to use the shake method and my wine took a lot longer to clear as the sediment is suspended in the tiny bubbles.

Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE :thumb:

Latest posts

Back