wine yeast for beer!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

londondan109

Reaction score
hey guys, ok so this is my firt brew which i did on saturday, i was making an ipa and using a pack of wyeast 1028. i made a starter for the yeast tthe day before and was slightly concerned when the slap pack didnt inflate after leaving it for about 9 hours, i looked it up online and everyone said not to worry quite often they dont inflate. so pitched it in my starter and left it overnight. after doing everything up to the pitching i went back to the starter to find no evidence of fermentation, having no other type of yeast i thought maybe it was slow starting and pitched it anyway, three days later and still no sign of fermentation i resign myself to the fact that the yeast is dead, looked all over town and the only yeast i could find is wine yeast which it said was ideally suited to high alcoholic drinks. being as this was all i could get hold of i thought sod it and pitched it anyway! question is will this ruin my beer? or will it just produce something slightly different to what i would have got had my original yeast have worked?

cheers for the help.

Sorry that I can't help you mate but seeing as nobody has replied yet I thought I would bump this one on.

I am sure somebody will come along soon with some answers to your question.

Cheers Neil

You will get alcohol, that's for sure. The problem is that wine yeast is formulated for making wine, obviously :)

Yeast contributes most of the flavor to your brew, so I would imagine that your beer will be very different than you expected.

It may turn out amazingly, and you may have just created a new experimental style, but only time can tell :thumb:

As stubbs says yeast is responsible for about 70% of a beers flavour so yeast is usually selected for its flavour. Wine yeast will probably make your beer very different to what you intended it especially since you went to the expense of buying a slap pack for it in the first place.

Sorry my opinion isn't probably what you wanted.

:cheers:

looked this morning and my fermentor is now bubbling away happily! i had a root about on other forums and found a few people who had done the same and apparently it still produced a drinkable beer but comes out a bit dryer than expected. as this is my first ever batch, if i produce something i can drink im calling it a success regardless! the only downside is this has put me off using liquid yests in the future. any recommendations for good dry yeasts i can use in the next batch?

londondan109 said:
looked this morning and my fermentor is now bubbling away happily! i had a root about on other forums and found a few people who had done the same and apparently it still produced a drinkable beer but comes out a bit dryer than expected. as this is my first ever batch, if i produce something i can drink im calling it a success regardless! the only downside is this has put me off using liquid yests in the future. any recommendations for good dry yeasts i can use in the next batch?

Everyone I've spoken to that uses the smack packs always makes sure to have a reserve of dry yeast around for the occasional pack that doesn't work. I don't know how often that happens, but I figure once it has happened to you once you won't soon forget it.

It is very likely to be drinkable, but it would most definitely be better with the proper yeast :) Chalk it up as a learning experience no matter the outcome :) :thumb:

I should have said you will probably end up with a dryer beer. Which ever way it will probably be a fantastic beer because it is you first.

If it does turn out undrinkable you could always make malt vinegar :whistle:

Thought i'd give you guys a roundup of the results. The beer in short is drinkable, but certainly not the quality i was going for. So i have kicked off a second batch which is happily fermenting with proper beer yeast this time! fingers crossed second time lucky! lol

londondan109 said:
any recommendations for good dry yeasts i can use in the next batch?
Buy Nottingham dry yeast from the forum sponsor on the banner above, it's new vacuum packed stuff that he sells, there has been issues in the past with Nottingham not fermenting but since they've started to vacuum pack they've be o.k.

Safale-04 is good as well is Safale-05, Windsor is a ******* for going over the top with a big yeast head.

BB

yeah went with the safale 04. fermented very quickly. it will be 2 weeks in the fermenter this saturday so im going to prime and bottle!

Back