WineSwap Feedback

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsbeer said:
9W was my wine and is a bit of a concoction. Glad you liked it Alan. SWMBO has already drunk the rest of it. :lol: It was a 25lt batch made with a variety of juices. I generally always adjust ph to get below 3.5 with tartaric acid. In this case it was 3.4. I have also recently taken to adding zest and this one had 4 grapefruits zested and the juice added. Fermented for 30 days using youngs bordeaux red yeast.

Here are my notes: Apologies for the look but they are in a table and the forum doesn't like tables. :roll: :whistle: But if you pm me your email I can send it looking how it should. :thumb:
Started: 6/4/13 SG: 1.086
Stabilised: 6/5/13 FG: .994
Recipe Volume 25lt
Ingredient Unit Sugar Qty Total
Grape Juice
1 Aldi White Grape Juice lt 151 4 604
2 Aldi Red Grape Juice lt 160 1 160

Concentrate
1 .. .. 0 0
2 .. .. 0 0

Fruit Juice
1 Aldi Pineapple lt 131 1 131
2 Aldi Apple Juice lt 104 2 208
3 Asda Grapefruit lt 89 1.5 133.5
4 Asda Mango lt 122 1 122
5 Cranberry Juice lt 134 1 134

Dried Fruit/Flowers
1 Zest 1 0 4 0
2 .. .. 0 0
3 .. .. 0 0

Sugar
1 Granulated Kg 1000 4 4000

Red Bordeaux Total Sugar 5492.5
SG 1.086 Sugar per Lt 219.7
PH 3.4
Zest & Juice 4 Gfruit
5 Tanin
5 Pectolase
4 Nutrient

I seemed to have missed this :oops: I have only done 1 Gallon WOW type batches so may need to increase in order to get the complexity that you got in your wine. The zest was a nice touch, I now understand where that almost marmalady bitterness came from. I may well copy this one but really need to get more wine bottle :roll:

:clap: :clap: Well Done Everyone :clap: :clap:

There is now only a couple of bottle still to be reviewed (one MIA during transit :cry: ). Everything seems to have gone smoothly so thank you all for making it such a great success. Our minds are now looking to the Christmas Swap so if you guys have any suggestion then that would be great, we would love to hear them.

Crastney said:
narmour - 6W was mine - plum and damson wine. indeed well aged, as the fruit was from 2011 harvest. no glycerine in it though. recipe is here plum and damson wine*

Thank you for the very nice review - I never thought anyone would think so highly of it.

Moley suggested that it was sugar syrup and should be added to something extremely dry, and he tried some at the Spring Thing recently and quite liked it (as a dessert wine).

so after aging it looks like it turned out ok in the end.

*there are other threads with posts about this batch, search my posts for plum damson wine, and you'll find four or five threads with posts from me.

so the process had lots of mistakes - too much liquid for the amount of fruit, then too much sugar added for the amount of liquid, then too high a temp from the brew belt, then stuck fermentation, and oxidation, and colour change from too much sunlight, but after a long time clearing before bottling and a long time after ageing in bottles - it's actually rather good. Just goes to show you don't need to do everything perfectly to make good wine.

Excellent work sir. Both me and herself really enjoyed this, I neglected to mention that the unchilled version had a slight sherry like quality. Just goes to show the benefits of proper ageing. I have a few wines that are like paint stripper at the minute, but in a couple of years they could be pretty good!

I'm glad you didn't take on Moley's advice in that thread!

We are still waiting on one review due to a missing bottle but that may take a wee while so I would like to thank everyone again for all the great reviews and for taking part. Everything ran smothly and that is down to you all for sticking to the time frame meaning that it did not lose momentum. I am going to delete all contact information now but will keep a list of your usernames of who swapped with who just incase

The Bottle Swap Team are now turning our heads to a Christmas swap so please give us any feedback, good or bad. To get the ball rolling: How did you find the time frame? Are people happy with 500ml bottles? Have a think and let us know what you think :cheers:

I have only been a member on here for a short while and dived into the wine swop head first.

I think it is a fantastic idea and I would like to say a big well done to everyone who took the time to enter and a huge thank you to those who did the organisation. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Feedback on the swap.. timeframe was more than adequate, I am not the most organised person in the world and even I got my bottle sent in plenty of time. In fact when I received my bottle from another swapper I still had loads of time to send, re-using the packaging I had received :party:

500ml bottles are fine, please consider us islanders who have to post to the mainland. Royal Mail isn't cheap!!!

Perhaps in future if there is more interest, you could register what category of wine you are interested in receiving, so that if you are into making WOW wines or country wines you could compare your own with someone elses and maybe learn a trick or two? or you could get a sample of something that you know nothing about to do a little research and maybe get interested in producing it in the future.

I'd be interested in swapping more than one bottle purely for selfish reasons :oops:
Not to subject unfortunate recipients to my attempts but to sample the quality and variety of others.
I found it very educational :thumb:

narmour said:
you could register what category of wine you are interested in receiving, so that if you are into making WOW wines or country wines you could compare your own with someone elses and maybe learn a trick or two? or you could get a sample of something that you know nothing about to do a little research and maybe get interested in producing it in the future.

This is a good idea. This time we had 12 participants with the majority of that being WOW type wines. With a few more this is something I think worth while.

anthonyUK said:
I'd be interested in swapping more than one bottle purely for selfish reasons :oops:

I get what you are saying anthony, the standards seemed very high indeed. This is somthing we will need to discuss with regards to admin. I will raise it with others and we will see what happens with the Secret Santa.

Latest posts

Back