Witless ******* - Brew Day!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We also noticed the maxing out at 92, common sense prevailed with the boiling at least, that's where the thermometer mistrust began. I traipsed around 2 different towns looking for a glass one to back up the electric one I had on order, couldn't find one, so will order one online for next brew. Ended up grabbing a back up electric one which was about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

:hat: Thanks for all the advice gents. We're quite happy with things so far. I feel that we are learning with each brew. Definitely think we've found a life long hobby... i'm sure our Wives will be thrilled ezra's Mrs is loving it so far :electric: we're using his until I move into my new place.

Twas, twas. Took a test vial tonight, gravity has dropped to 'bottle' on the hydrometer and fermentation is near enough done. Tastes... sweet, lemony. It's nice. I think that carbonation in bottles will bring this one up to standard.

Bottling day! I've a query about priming sugar. I'm using dextrose to prime but wonder what kind of levels i should use... different brewing calculators are throwing up different quantities. There is roughly 10.5l to bottle, and i'm getting anywhere between 48g and 105g for priming. Thoughts?

I reckon 75g. You want about 2.3 volumes in a Wit, I worked it out with a priming calculator.

I know it's a bit confusing. I'm no Wit expert but I think 75g is about right - and it's also in the middle of the range you found. It won't give you the really high carbonation of a German wheat beer, but it will be well carbed. English Ales typically have around 75-85g in a 23 litre brew. So it will be lively enough, I think.

imag0484-118.jpg

All bottled and crudely labeled. Tasted nice... really promising. :grin:

Latest posts

Back