WLP4040 Midwestern Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

My next brew will be a Bells Two Hearted Ale Clone - I've not used "WLP4040 Midwestern Ale Yeast" before and wanted to know of anyone's experiences using it.

The recipe calls for pitch at 18°c, ferment at 20°c for a week, Dry Hop 100g Centennial "Allow two hearted clone to stay warm with hops for a week" and then "Rack beer, crash cool, and cold age for a week".

1) "Allow two hearted clone to stay warm with hops for a week" - I'm thinking of 19°C as I can't decide whether 18°c or 20°c is best.
2) "cold age for a week" - Not a clue what this is. If they meant cold crash for a week I'm guessing they'd have said that! I think I'll hedge my bets and store the bottles at 8°c for a week after carbing up.
3) I usually ramp to 22°C for two days when I'm a point or 2 off FG, should I skip this step (as the recipe doesn't ask for it)?

Has anyone tried to clone it before? Any advice/feedback will be gratefully received.

Never brewed this beer/clone kit or used the yeast but...

1) I think they're asking you to pitch at 18, let it free rise to 20 then hold it there for a week.
2) I'd say this means cold crash (usually to 0-3 degrees) then store it at that temp for a week. You could do this then still bottle condition fine after it but it might take a bit longer.
3) No harm in doing so as far as I see. Not sure if this strain is known to produce diacetyl but if it is, or even if it isn't, ramping the temp at the end of fermentation is good practice in my view.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

My first ever all grain was loosely based on Two Hearted, it was a very good beer! I used dry yeast for it I think, will be interested to hear what you make of that yeast.

Here's my plan, I always get a paper back up in case my net dies.

Bell's 2 Hearted Brew List

Before Monday 23rd December

Finish Cleaning Grain Father and wort chiller
Hose Clamp Hop Filter connection
Hose clamp SS Mesh
Put up Pallet/Shelving
Tidy up

Friday 20th December
1L Starter

Sunday 22nd December
Add the below to the full 30L:
6.1 millilitres Carbonate Reducing Solution
1/4 tsp sodium metabisulphate
20L Mash - Set timer to preheat
11L to Sparge Heater
Put Starter in Fridge Overnight
Mix 1300g Crisp Extra Pale Maris Otter, 4.5kg Crisp Maris Otter,
200g CaraGold, 8.45g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)

BREWDAY - Monday 23rd December
Take starter out of fridge, decant and swirl occasionally
Dough-in
PH Test 15 Minutes
35°C @ 30 mins
66°C @ 45 mins
77°C @ 10 mins
Sparge @ 79°C - 11 Litres
75 Minute Boil

Boiler Additions:
4.7 g Gypsum
0.58g Salt
34g Centennial @ 45 Minutes
34g Centennial @ 30 Minutes
Wyeast Beer Nutrient Dissolve in warm water.
Add solution to kettle 15 minutes prior to end of boil
4g Irish Moss @10 Minutes
Sterilise Wort Chiller @5 Minutes
Whirlpool 15 Minutes

Chill to 18°C Aerate and pitch starter

20°C for a week
100g Centennial 1 week @20°C
21°C for penultimate day
22°C for final day
Cold crash 3 days @3°C
Cold condition 1 Week
Bottle and carb to 2.5C02

This is great I have been looking for this yeast and thought it was limited to Imperial which I can't find here. I'm gonna pick up some from the link above.

From another site I believe they ferment at 24-25. I'll link it when I can find it.

I'm pretty sure there is also a late addition of Centennial as well and no dry hop? But this will make a good one I think. 100g dry hop is heavy...

It's a great beer though one of my favorites.

It's fermenting like the clappers. I've never seen activity like it in a yeast.

I've pretty much given up on looking for Imperial Yeasts, as soon as they're in stock they're out again.

It's fermenting like the clappers. I've never seen activity like it in a yeast.

I've pretty much given up on looking for Imperial Yeasts, as soon as they're in stock they're out again.

Imperial Yeast haven't been able to ship to the UK for some time due some issues to do with the organic certification they carry. I emailed them about it a couple of times months ago and they said they were hoping to get their yeast back to the UK soon.

Bit of a resurrection post...

Just after an update @St00 on how this turned out? I've done a variation on Two Hearted before but I just used Mangrove Jack M44 as I had some in the brewing box! I got some Midwestern Ale yeast this week so TH will be my next brew. What were your thoughts on the finished product?

It was one of the best and "cleanest" IPA's I've brewed. It's definitely my go to yeast if I want a classic West Coast IPA.

For that classic citrus grapefruit IPA it's perfect.

If I remember correctly I did exactly what they recommended, I fermented it out added the hops 20°c and left it for 5 days. I crashed it to 4°c over 3 days and then kegged it.

It didn't last that long.

I use the Two Hearted grain bill for all of my own IPAs now, but with a touch of melanoidin malt and Tormodgarden kveik as it gives it more rounded fruity notes from the yeast as well as the hops.

It was one of the best and "cleanest" IPA's I've brewed. It's definitely my go to yeast if I want a classic West Coast IPA.

For that classic citrus grapefruit IPA it's perfect.

If I remember correctly I did exactly what they recommended, I fermented it out added the hops 20°c and left it for 5 days. I crashed it to 4°c over 3 days and then kegged it.

It didn't last that long.

I use the Two Hearted grain bill for all of my own IPAs now, but with a touch of melanoidin malt and Tormodgarden kveik as it gives it more rounded fruity notes from the yeast as well as the hops.

Great stuff. I always make a starter and I’m tempted to build this up, stick half back in the vial and then build it up again so I always have some to hand for my own WC IPA’s. I might try and top crop some too!
Now to check the freezer to make sure I’ve enough Centennial!

Great stuff. I always make a starter and I’m tempted to build this up, stick half back in the vial and then build it up again so I always have some to hand for my own WC IPA’s. I might try and top crop some too!
Now to check the freezer to make sure I’ve enough Centennial!
when i used it it wasn't quite as clean as chico is but definitely not as estery as an english ale yeast (although I believe it technically is). it's kind of in the middle of the two. its also hazy, 2 hearted is definitely not a clear beer, less so now than it used to be too. i think they ferment it pretty warm to get more ester out of it too, 22-24c if i remember correctly.

@St00 where do you get your centennial from?

I'm not too concerned about a clear beer and I expect a little bit of hazy unless I'm aiming to make it super clear...but even then :)

Back