Wood burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had a discrepancy involving the axe and my thumb I have used the money from the sale of my electric fire I removed recently to buy myself a Kindling Cracker for splitting some of the fatter logs and making some ...kindling.
I do all my own kindling.best method is a massive old tyre. Fill right with logs, a nice sharp axe and just walk around the tyre hitting each log to your desired size. The tyre keeps them all in place and makes the job so much easier.

I do all my own kindling.best method is a massive old tyre. Fill right with logs, a nice sharp axe and just walk around the tyre hitting each log to your desired size. The tyre keeps them all in place and makes the job so much easier.
I have overhanging trees. All my kindling is just windfall twigs and DIY offcuts

Link? I just use a Fiskars axe, it if ever hits my thumb it’s coming off. It’s like a razor.

My huge apple tree needs a trim so everything off it will be cut to size and bundled up to go in the log store. I usually fill at least 2 garden bins with trimmed twigs etc so it'll be plenty for next winter.
Yes Chippy...my thumb is worth keeping.

Link? I just use a Fiskars axe, it if ever hits my thumb it’s coming off. It’s like a razor.
I got mine off Fandango fire tools,comes with a Christmas offer of a free lump hammer. It's got a 5 year warranty so I'll definitely test that out.

I have overhanging trees. All my kindling is just windfall twigs and DIY offcuts
All our wood is off our land, if I take down some ash or sycamore I use all of it from the trunks to the twigs. Never have to chop bigger stuff down to kindling.

My kindling cracker has arrived. What a doddle!

Just watched the video and I think for me personally it would still be quite difficult to use. Most women just aren't built with the physical strength that men have.

I've bought a small electric saw that we do ours with. I'm terrified of it though lol :laugh8:

Last edited:
The remains of what was our garden jungle. Built a log store from bits of wood I found in the loft, should keep the fire pit going for a while.
IMG_20221008_165152.jpg

Before
IMG_20200628_113938.jpg

After
pano_share.jpg

For kinderling I cut up pallets with a circular saw. I put a small axe through the cut pieces. I save the corner blocks in banana boxes, which stack neatly, to at least 6 high, to be used as a last resort, when I’m out of logs.

I don’t use the compressed blocks, nor the blue or red painted pallets.

For kinderling I cut up pallets with a circular saw. I put a small axe through the cut pieces. I save the corner blocks in banana boxes, which stack neatly, to at least 6 high, to be used as a last resort, when I’m out of logs.

I don’t use the compressed blocks, nor the blue or red painted pallets.
I do. Burn a treat. The nails are PITA though.

Don’t think I’ve posted ours burning. We’ve only had the heating on twice this year, and have 3 years of wood to log at the current burn rate.

Attachments

• DFDD0A28-A287-4E41-BE56-DBEA7DFEEFE2.jpeg
    DFDD0A28-A287-4E41-BE56-DBEA7DFEEFE2.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
I save the nails, and put them in batches in a bean tin in the recycling.

I put the ash on the garden.

Latest posts

Back