Wood fired steak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spotted this thread and have to say those CdBs look awesome!

I do them in my WFO too. I put the meat on a rack in a tray on the oven floor. I sear it for 5 mins each side by having the oven at pizza temps with the door pretty open and then leave it for another 20 mins or so with the door shut. Also gets good results and pretty straightforward but I do like this approach.

What do you use to vacuum seal the meat Alastair before s-v’ing? Also curious about your grill - I’ve been thinking of getting one but not taken the plunge yet so any tips welcome.

thanks,

Craig

Just spotted this thread and have to say those CdBs look awesome!

I do them in my WFO too. I put the meat on a rack in a tray on the oven floor. I sear it for 5 mins each side by having the oven at pizza temps with the door pretty open and then leave it for another 20 mins or so with the door shut. Also gets good results and pretty straightforward but I do like this approach.

What do you use to vacuum seal the meat Alastair before s-v’ing? Also curious about your grill - I’ve been thinking of getting one but not taken the plunge yet so any tips welcome.

thanks,

Craig

I got a cheap vacuum sealer from Amazon a couple of years ago. It was one of their daily deals at the time. Prior to that I was using zip lock bags and immersion, but the vacuum sealer does a far better job. I have had a couple of ziplocks burst in the past which was a nightmare.
The grill is also from Amazon snd was well worth the punt. You get a cleaner tasting cook over the wood embers than you do over charcoal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-Rai...1&keywords=tuscan+grill&qid=1615716675&sr=8-2

Would love one of them big green eggs. They look some job

I bought a Monolith kamado just over 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. They’re cheaper than an Egg, mine came fully loaded including a cast iron grill for under a grand. I spent at least a year smoking and doing low ‘n’ slow on it before realising it’s also an awesome BBQ when you take out all the inside bits and open up the vents. It gets used all year round, has done 2 Christmas dinners and during lockdown never got a chance to cool down properly before being fired up again. Its virtually indestructible and is the same size as the Kamado Joe, so their accessories fit if you want to add to it.

I can’t recommend Kamado cooking enough. I bought in November from a local BBQ dealer, and as it was end of season got a really good deal. The wood fired oven was bought with last years holiday refund, thought it would be better recycled into something the family could continue to enjoy while Covid continues to mess with our lives. The weekly pizza lunches have made my daughter the pizza chef extrodinaire and she’s got far better at dough than I am.

Last edited:
I bought a Monolith kamado just over 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. They’re cheaper than an Egg, mine came fully loaded including a cast iron grill for under a grand. I spent at least a year smoking and doing low ‘n’ slow on it before realising it’s also an awesome BBQ when you take out all the inside bits and open up the vents. It gets used all year round, has done 2 Christmas dinners and during lockdown never got a chance to cool down properly before being fired up again. Its virtually indestructible and is the same size as the Kamado Joe, so their accessories fit if you want to add to it.

I can’t recommend Kamado cooking enough. I bought in November from a local BBQ dealer, and as it was end of season got a really good deal. The wood fired oven was bought with last years holiday refund, thought it would be better recycled into something the family could continue to enjoy while Covid continues to mess with our lives. The weekly pizza lunches have made my daughter the pizza chef extrodinaire and she’s got far better at dough than I am.
Just had a wee look. They look some job. What model did you get

Just had a wee look. They look some job. What model did you get
You want the “Classic”. 57” grill is just right for home use. So middle size for whatever brand you choose.

If you go large and you’ll need half a rain forest worth of charcoal just to get it up to heat. The “classic” easily takes a 16lb turkey or two beer-can chickens, just not at the same time!

You want the “Classic”. 57” grill is just right for home use. So middle size for whatever brand you choose.

If you go large and you’ll need half a rain forest worth of charcoal just to get it up to heat. The “classic” easily takes a 16lb turkey or two beer-can chickens, just not at the same time!
It's on my list once I get my keggerator built and up to speed.

I got a cheap vacuum sealer from Amazon a couple of years ago. It was one of their daily deals at the time. Prior to that I was using zip lock bags and immersion, but the vacuum sealer does a far better job. I have had a couple of ziplocks burst in the past which was a nightmare.
The grill is also from Amazon snd was well worth the punt. You get a cleaner tasting cook over the wood embers than you do over charcoal.

I bought the reusable ziplock bag kit below to use with my Grainfather as I didn't know whether or not sous vide'ing was something something I'd do regularly enough (and trying to cut down on plastic use).

The problem I had the first time I used them was that some of the rub I used on the brisket got stuck in the seal. I think there might have been a little water ingress after about ten minutes, so I removed it, dried the bag and put the bag in another and pumped the air out. That seems to work very well if you can't justfity the outlay/space for a vacuum sealer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uarter-Coo...keywords=Sous+Vide+Bags&qid=1615796349&sr=8-6

I bought the reusable ziplock bag kit below to use with my Grainfather as I didn't know whether or not sous vide'ing was something something I'd do regularly enough (and trying to cut down on plastic use).

The problem I had the first time I used them was that some of the rub I used on the brisket got stuck in the seal. I think there might have been a little water ingress after about ten minutes, so I removed it, dried the bag and put the bag in another and pumped the air out. That seems to work very well if you can't justfity the outlay/space for a vacuum sealer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uarter-Coo...keywords=Sous+Vide+Bags&qid=1615796349&sr=8-6

I have had that issue too. There’s a sub £30 sealer on Amazon at the minute that looks very similar to my one, just different name. The plastic rolls are a small but recurring expense and they are only single use.
The worst mistake I made was on one occasion not to put the temp probe into the GF. I came out the next day to find it had boiled dry, cut out and there was about 5kg of pork shoulder welded to the bottom 😱

The worst mistake I made was on one occasion not to put the temp probe into the GF. I came out the next day to find it had boiled dry, cut out and there was about 5kg of pork shoulder welded to the bottom 😱

Oh no! What did you do to clean it? I've never left anything overnight in mine, partly because I was worried I might damage the control box as I thinkit it's probably not designed to be on for that long. How full would you need to fill the GF for an overnight?

I have a control box that only heats (GF had to replace) it as the pump controller died, so I suppose I could use that.

Oh no! What did you do to clean it? I've never left anything overnight in mine, partly because I was worried I might damage the control box as I thinkit it's probably not designed to be on for that long. How full would you need to fill the GF for an overnight?

I have a control box that only heats (GF had to replace) it as the pump controller died, so I suppose I could use that.

I have a stiff plastic brush that fits on the end of a drill. Some GF cleaner and a good going with that got it all off.
I put about 15L in and put the lid on. The level doesn’t drop significantly overnight, depending on what’s in it the temp can be anywhere between 55 and 85C

@Alastair70 that sauce for the steak.... You said kimchi hollandaise... Did you use any kimchi? Also, for gochujang... I have Chilli bean paste. Think that would work? And lastly, what did you have on the side? Not convinced chips is the thing here?

@Alastair70 that sauce for the steak.... You said kimchi hollandaise... Did you use any kimchi? Also, for gochujang... I have Chilli bean paste. Think that would work? And lastly, what did you have on the side? Not convinced chips is the thing here?

The Kimchi sauce is a Neil Rankin thing. There’s no actual kimchi in it, but it is Korean, and it pops up a lot in “Low n Slow”. I used the gochujang paste in the picture for this one, his recipe for what he calls kimchi paste has essentially the same ingredients. The doenjang is pure umami and is great added in to veggie dishes or white meats. Chilli bean paste sound does sound like a perfect substitute.

It was all served up with corn on the cob and sweet potato fries on this occasion, better not float the more steak idea in front of my 17yr old, he’d be all over that one😂

56526244-8E30-46FE-85A0-4F0FEA3C85C2.jpeg

The Kimchi sauce is a Neil Rankin thing. There’s no actual kimchi in it, but it is Korean, and it pops up a lot in “Low n Slow”. I used the gochujang paste in the picture for this one, his recipe for what he calls kimchi paste has essentially the same ingredients. The doenjang is pure umami and is great added in to veggie dishes or white meats. Chilli bean paste sound does sound like a perfect substitute.

It was all served up with corn on the cob and sweet potato fries on this occasion, better not float the more steak idea in front of my 17yr old, he’d be all over that one😂

View attachment 43464

It's going to be your sauce made with chilli bean paste as I coudnt get anything else at the shop today, but crucially, I got this fella

20210319_121430.jpg

It's going to be your sauce made with chilli bean paste as I coudnt get anything else at the shop today, but crucially, I got this fella

View attachment 43480

10 out of 10 for the before shot. Nice marbling, minimal fat in the middle and a good cap on the outside. That’s a lovely piece of rib steak 🥩.
Looking forward to the after pics!

Just checked, the gochugang paste is a fermented chilli and brown rice combination. The Neil Rankin recipe has other stuff added to the paste too. Should have read the recipe closer. Anyway, it still tasted amazing. I’ll have a go at his ’Kimchi‘ sauce next time and report back.

Bon Appetite!

No pics but the steak was class and the chilli bean hollandaise was a winner too will definitely be doing it again with proper ingredients

Latest posts

Back