Woodfords Wherry Pimp or Not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simoncbr600steelie

Reaction score
Hi I’m about to start a Woodfords Wherry kit & im considering adding some medium spray malt at the start to increase the ABV a little, perhaps by 1 or 2 percent, has anyone got any advice on weather to do this or is it best to leave as standard? Thanks

Chap at my local brew shop told me I should add a bag of spray malt to my Wherry I was buying.

I had made the wherry kits maybe 5 time before but this turned out being a big mistake. 40 pints of horrible sweet beer. I wish Id left well alone.

Wherry is a nice pint I think if it needed a bag of spray malt added they would have supplied it with the kit.

buddsy

Wherry is one of those kits that most people make, made to the instructions it produces a fairly decent bitter, tends to be a little sweet but overall pretty nice.

If I was going to pimp it I would probably just do a dry hop possibly some styrian golding or bramling cross, but I would agree with @Clint that best bet is to brew it per instructions first.

Last edited:
Have done the wherry kit a lot over the years and used to dry hop with 50 odd grams of hops for around three to four days before keg use to experiment with different hops as I remember galaxy , went down well , amarillo was nice as well , just anything you fancy really.yes it can come over as a little sweet , just swap the yeast out for another, used to use Nottingham or sometimes us o4 with better end results, hope this helps 👍🍻

I agree, always do a kit as the expert who created it intended. Then you know the starting point and perhaps have an idea of what could be improved for your taste.

I haven't felt the need to experiment as I have plenty of kits that I like and do regularly as is, one of which is the Wherry, and at the same time I try a new kit on every order.

I imagine I will still be doing that for some years to come.

Each to his own though.

I think the Wherry is a great kit as it is but for that little bit extra, just brew it short at 19 litres.... or perhaps less.

As my name suggests I like Wherry a lot and brewed it for ages. Its a session beer and if people are happy with that then dont pimp it

Ive seen suggestions to add LME to the brew but I went instead to Nelsons Revenge / Bitter at 5 pc and Admirals Reserve ar 5.5 pc using the kits with no additions

I have now settled on Admirals and have 3 KKs of it at 32 pints each and 1 other with Wherry which when gone will become an Admiral Barrel - so my opinion try a few in their authentic form before altering a kit

Then after a while trial a new beer - always good suggestions on here

Just pimped this with a dry hop.
Started this for the 3rd time 3 weeks ago. After 10 days ferment i dry hopped this with 25g Ekg.
Then transferred to corny keg a week ago, previously only bottled it.
Look forward to trying it tonight, its great as intended, but find it a bit sweet after half a dozen!
For a stronger beer Admiral is a great drop will certainly be making again!

One of the best kits I ever had over the years was one by mutton’s , smugglers ale , lovely drink this, after being in pressure barrel for six weeks onwards for me it was the one kit that you would never have believed was a home brew kit, takes a while to reach top condition, but well worth the wait 🍻👍

Latest posts

Back