Work out the ABV%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renton87

Reaction score
Hey !

Can anyone help me work out the % of my beer ?
I have used the usual way but it makes no sense , FG = 1025 ! SG = 1045 !
See pics u can see the hydrometer is no were near 1000 = water it's much higher , it tastes really strong !

I hopped ish ha with random stuff see pic eg skittles , fizzy fangs and love hearts ! I know really random but it tastes amazing really diffrent !

Thanks

original gravity minus final gravity then divide the answer by 7.545 equals the ABV, hope this helps

(ps. take the decimal points out, makes it easier):thumb:

original gravity minus final gravity then divide the answer by 7.545 equals the ABV, hope this helps

(ps. take the decimal points out, makes it easier):thumb:

Cheers beechwood ,

But this is what is confusing me by the calculations it's working out as like 0.000265? The kit itself is supposed to be 5.2 %

Any idea if you calculate what u think the abv works out as ?

Thanks again

Cheers beechwood ,

But this is what is confusing me by the calculations it's working out as like 0.000265? The kit itself is supposed to be 5.2 %

Thanks again

Hi Renton,

I think we we need some more details to help.

What is the kit?
How long has it been fermenting?
Is it still bubbling?
How many times have you used a hydrometer (before today)?

Hard to pitch a response without this sort of info, I'm afraid.

Cheers beechwood ,

Thanks again

By my calculation if your starting gravity was 1045 and final gravity is 1025 it comes out at a shade over 2.6%.

1045 - 1025 = 20
20 decided by 7.545 = 2.65

Is 1025 not a big high for FG? there are people here more well versed on the subject than me, but could it be that you haven't rached FG yet?

Hi lads
Just checked the hydrometer again and it's went down to 1015 so not sure what that would make it abv wise ...
It's been in arond 3 and a half weeks it's ready to bottle now , not bubbling any more , looks a great colour and a great taste !

Kit is a woodfordes reserve 2 can kit

Cheers for the helpful responses 👍

Hi lads
Just checked the hydrometer again and it's went down to 1015 so not sure what that would make it abv wise ...
It's been in arond 3 and a half weeks it's ready to bottle now , not bubbling any more , looks a great colour and a great taste !

Kit is a woodfordes reserve 2 can kit

Cheers for the helpful responses 👍

Hi Renton,

That sounds great!
If the beer is pretty clear, I suggest you go for bottling.
If there is a lower range for a suggested amount of priming sugar, then perhaps you go with that?

Only god knows the abv of your brew. All them sweeties will have added sugar after you measured the OG.

Hopefully the gelatine in the fizzy fangs will be clearing the beer. :thumb:

Never expected to write that sentence.

Only god knows the abv of your brew. All them sweeties will have added sugar after you measured the OG.

Hopefully the gelatine in the fizzy fangs will be clearing the beer. :thumb:

Never expected to write that sentence.

Almost what I was going to say. Sounds like a hybrid beer/alchopop. I think you may have invented a new beer style, :mrgreen: :sick:

Haha that was the idea to try something totally out there !!
It tastes so good like nothing Iv ever tasted before ,
I'm just so confused with the abv think I may have to just test the effects after 6 pints ha

And call it * the unknown ale * ha

Add me on Instagram renton87 I put all my beers on there ✌️

Latest posts

Back