wot makes the perfect sunday lunch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A family sat around the table makes the perfect Sunday lunch.

We spend most of the day preparing it and cooking it, the kids fight over helping out which is good - my eldest (6) is in charge of Yorkshire puds now, it's also been great since getting the allotment, tomorrow we need to go get sprouts, a savoy cabbage and a couple of leeks.

Our YP method is to use 3 equal sized mugs, break 3 eggs into the first, then measure plain flour and milk into the other 2 mugs to the same level as the eggs (so 3 equal parts). Sift flour into bowl, mix eggs and milk in a jug and slowly whisk into flour. The batter is left to rest for at least 3 hours. *pinch of salt in the flour.

I like beef dripping but the girls dont so mine are cooked in a seperate tray but the method is the same, 220c to heat the fat, pour in the batter and drop the oven to 200c.

Moley said:
the shadow said:
I know you like things right so you must be making Kidderminster puddings as they're not made in Yorkshire
Silly me, I never realised that Yorkshire Puddings had been awarded Protected Geographical Status like the Melton Mowbray pork pie, I thought it was just a style of pudding to a recipe originating in Yorkshire but which could be made anywhere, like the Bakewell Tart or Eccles Cake.

[quote="the shadow":361fxwon]1 cup of eggs. 1 cup plain flour 1 cup of milk a pinch of salt
Surely that's 1 egg? :wha:

I do get my tray and oil hot, gas mark 8-9, but didn't know about turning the oven down later, so thanks for that. :thumb:[/quote:361fxwon]

is the proble that you ave been having that there collapse

Your all going wrong with the yorkie puds, you should use 1/2 milk half water mix, It will give you much lighter puds and they will rise better.

Make sure you give the batter a good rest as wez says, and make sure the oil is smoking before putting the batter in and don't open the oven until they are done or they will sink.
:thumb:

UP

wipping cream half water mix allso works if you need to keep the for a day or so . a tick of the trade there wont tell you.lets all agree there is no real recipe for yorky puds . but there taste grate

unclepumble said:
You're all going wrong with the yorkie puds, you should use 1/2 milk half water mix, It will give you much lighter puds and they will rise better.
I've been mostly using Delia's recipe: 1 egg, 3 oz flour, 3 oz milk, 2 oz water, salt & pepper. Have tried hand whisk, electric balloon whisk and whizzing in a food processor. Always rest my batter, goes into a hot tray and don't open the oven door to check. They've still been coming out flat though.

Moley said:
unclepumble said:
You're all going wrong with the yorkie puds, you should use 1/2 milk half water mix, It will give you much lighter puds and they will rise better.
I've been mostly using Delia's recipe: 1 egg, 3 oz flour, 3 oz milk, 2 oz water, salt & pepper. Have tried hand whisk, electric balloon whisk and whizzing in a food processor. Always rest my batter, goes into a hot tray and don't open the oven door to check. They've still been coming out flat though.

aunt-bessies-yorkshire-puds.jpg

perfect sunday lunch is anything i dont have to cook!
i do the cooking all the time and id be nice to have a break.
preferably nip down to local weatherspoons (which is actually not bad for food, cook must actually give a damn) for a sunday roast and a few good ales.
bugger it, im goin to my mums today! :D

the shadow said:
Moley said:
unclepumble said:

aunt-bessies-yorkshire-puds.jpg
Be gone ye heathen.

Up

My yorkies are 3 eggs, 4 oz flour, 1/2 pt milk, salt n pepper. Whisk the f*** out of it for at least a minute with the leccy whisk on hi speed. Pour into pre heated dripping, bang it in the oven and don't open it til they're done. I've not had any not rise yet.
I actually quite like doing the roast while the wife n kids n outlaws are all being churched..... just wish the buggers would wash up afterwards!

Moley said:
Silly me, I never realised that Yorkshire Puddings had been awarded Protected Geographical Status like the Melton Mowbray pork pie, I thought it was just a style of pudding to a recipe originating in Yorkshire but which could be made anywhere, like the Bakewell Tart or Eccles Cake.

Eccles cakes aren't even made in Eccles, sometimes they are not even sold in Eccles. But the local populace eat plenty of cream cakes by the looks of them :lol: :lol:

UP's Sunday roast is almost the same as mine, though I like carrot and swede mash with it.
You can't beat rib of beef, everything else (beefy wise) simply tastes of cardboard in comparison :lol:

yup yorky puds come from Yorkshire.
Bakewell tarts however dont come from Bakewell.
Bakewell puddings come from Bakewell and they are 2 different things.

Carrot and swede mash is lovely and it sits well with my kids. Think cos it slips down easily without having to chew and tast the veg!
Oh and roast potatoes mmmmmmmm never have a sunday lunch without them

I had carrot and swede mash with mine yesterday.
But had to put up with a supermarket roast, did one last min to cheer my grandad up, (hes not having a good time of it at the mo)

I did roast beef, redwine and mushroom gravy, york puds, carrot and swede mash, roasted beets in cider and balsamic vinegar and olive oil, courgettes,fir apple spuds glazed in brittany butter and braised cavelo nero.
Sticky toffee pud and custard, for afters.

Was all a bit of a rush though between rugby coaching in the morning and hospital visiting in the afternoon, but the missus helped out a bit even though she's clueless in the kitchen :D .

Now then whats it to be as the best condiment english mustard, or fresh creamed Horseradish?

UP

Latest posts

Back