WOW finished, strong tannin note

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peige

Reaction score
Been doing kits but now striking out and doing a few WOW variants.

Apple variant has been done and in the bottle for a month, tried some last night and its got a strong tannin taste and its in the aroma too. I followed the recipe and put in one teaspoon using a proper "teaspoon" measure. Really disappointed :( Just racked the Orange wow version that is a few weeks behind and thats got it too although maybe not as much. Can I do anything about it? I read the bottled may get better over time, what about the one thats racked, clear and ready to bottle?

I've also got a third one thats just moved to clearing (tropical) and now i'm thinking the whole lot could be over dosed on tannin!

I have never used powdered tannin, i make a brew out of a couple of tea bags and half a mug of water and stir it regularly over a 15 minute period its then strong enough to be added to the DJ.
I would imagine ageing the wine will lessen the harsh taste.

Clearly there are cider enthusiasts, but I am not one of them. In terms of wine, the apple is somewhat problematic. The acid content is purely malic, the sugar content is low and the tannin content can be excessive. You can reduce the tannin by fining with gelatine if that's your only problem.

Depending on the juices used, I think you will find that a month down the line the taste will dissipate. I usually add 1 tsp per 5lt and have never found a problem. I doubt it makes a difference, but I always mix the tannin with the sugar and then add water and bring it to the boil. I also add a tsp of tartaric acid to help convert the sugar. That way it mixes properly and you don't get clumps.

Latest posts

Back