WOW problem??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walzee

Reaction score
Hi again
am very new.
Just started a 1 gallon wow
following wurzels recipe but added 1 lt red grape juice aswell
added the yeast at about 11am today and its hardly doing anything and i read that its supposed to be quite vigorous followed recipe to the T.
SG was 1080 before i added yeast.
Is it stuck or am i just impatient?? :pray:

What yeast did you use and what's the temperature like?

It should usually be showing signs of life within an hour or two but can take a day or two to get properly up to speed.

At the moment those yeasties are using up the dissolved oxygen and making rabbits look celibate, give them chance.

I havent checked the temperature but its in a utillity so room temperature.
i put it all into a dj to start read a few posts and seen it needs oxygen so i put it all into a 25lt fv.
sorry to be asking such silly questions just really want it to work am fascinated by the whole thing.
thankyou for being patient
:grin:

Walzee said:
I haven't checked the temperature but its in a utillity so room temperature.
i put it all into a dj to start read a few posts and seen it needs oxygen so i put it all into a 25lt fv.
If room temperature is acceptable to you it will usually be acceptable to those yeasties. They don't like it too hot or too cold either.

It only needs the oxygen which is already dissolved in the juices after you've shaken them up. One gallon of wine in a 5 gallon bucket is just too much airspace, it won't do any harm while fermentation is active but it needs to be racked or poured back into a PET or DJ within the next week or so.

Depends where you set your standards, if you just want to throw some sugary stuff and some yeast into a bucket the end result will usually get you hammered.

If you want to produce something which you can be proud to share with your friends, and you would like to keep them, it can require a little more finesse but it still isn't rocket science.

Personally, I love to dispel the preconceptions that the word “homebrew” can carry, and have my friends and colleagues come back with “that was excellent, could I have some more please?”

well said mate.
guess you have been brewing quite a while. I joke about getting hammered but i do want it to be like you said i have a dream of filling up a cellar or at least a big wine rack with wines that will keep and be enjoyed by everyone who drinks them.
Thanks for your help :cheers:

Walzee said:
guess you have been brewing quite a while. I joke about getting hammered but i do want it to be like you said i have a dream of filling up a cellar or at least a big wine rack with wines that will keep and be enjoyed by everyone who drinks them.
What, like this? :whistle:

PB11031101.jpg

I did quite a bit in the late 70s / early 80s but only started again in March 2009. However, by making it in greater volumes than we can drink I've now got some decent stocks laid down, and most of my 2010 country wines haven't even been bottled yet.

That is a beautiful site of someone who takes great pride in what they do.
Something like that would be brilliant lucky im starting early.
I bet your proud.
:clap:

Latest posts

Back