WOW question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzie

Reaction score
Hi I am making my first WOW.
I am thinking of not putting P/S into it and bottling it up into 500ml bottles with half a teaspoon of sugar to make it into bucks fizz. Has anyone done this? I am wondering if I still need to add a campdens too.
Its my birthday in February and I think it would be nice to offer friends a glass of bubbly when they come to see me ;)

Priming wine to give it a fizz is quite do-able. However, you will end up with a bottle sediment and wine yeasties don't compact like beer yeasties do, so when you open the bottle it will get stirred up. No matter, it won't harm you, but your guests might wonder what you're giving them. A fizzy WOW won't be anything like Buck's Fizz because it doesn't retain its orange flavour, so you could always serve it mixed with orange juice.

One way around the problem is to store your bottles upside down so the sediment forms on the cap, then open it still upside down over the sink. With practice you can ease the cap off, squirt the sediment out and turn the bottle right ways up without losing much wine at all.

Don't use PS or CTs.

PS: Cornelius kegs are bloody brilliant for sparkling WOW on tap.

Ok all good points. I was not aware that wow wouldnt retain its orange flavour. Does it come back the longer it is conditioned?
I think I will try the fizzy wine with just one 500ml bottle to see what it is like and stabilise the rest and bottle it.

suzie said:
I was not aware that wow wouldnt retain its orange flavour. Does it come back the longer it is conditioned?
No.

It retains fruity overtones, but when I've given anyone a bottle without telling them what it was made from, no-one has yet guessed.

Back