WTF is going on.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago anyone found guilty of grievous bodily harm would be looking at a lengthy prison sentence what deterrent is 180 hours unpaid work and £750 compensation for causing a fractured cheekbone and two head wounds which needed stapling, they kicked the guy as he lay defenceless on the floor and then attacked his wife. aheadbutt

I bet the victim was pleased to hear the offence was said to be “out of character”, while Graham, of Trafalgar Street, Carlisle, had been experiencing a “dip in his life” at the time" and it made up for all the pain he went through and the dip in life he suffered at their hands.

TWO men who attacked a man in front of his wife in central Carlisle, and then kicked him as he lay on the ground, have been spared immediate prison.

A judge at the city’s crown court heard a previous disagreement between one of the attackers, Liam James Hayhow, and victim Oliver Thorne had been “bubbling away under the surface” before violence flared at English Damside on July 5 last year.

While walking with his wife, Nea, at around 9-30pm, Mr Thorne was struck to the head by Hayhow, 21, and punched with “significant force” by a second man, 22-year-old Liam Joseph Marley Graham.

Grounded and unable to fight back, Mr Thorne was then kicked by both Hayhow and Graham, the latter also grabbing Mrs Thorne to the neck and pushing her backwards.

Mr Thorne’s injuries included a fractured cheekbone and two head wounds which needed stapling. In a victim impact statement, his wife described the attackers as “cowards and horrible human beings”. “They attacked a woman and an unarmed man, and their behaviour was disgusting,” she stated.

Both men admitted unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm upon Mr Thorne, while Graham admitted assaulting Mrs Thorne by beating.

The pair were sentenced today (THURS), when Judge Peter Davies heard mitigation for the men, both of whom work for scaffolding companies. For Hayhow, of Lingmoor Way, Carlisle, the offence was said to be “out of character”, while Graham, of Trafalgar Street, Carlisle, had been experiencing a “dip in his life” at the time.

Judge Davies suspended 15-month jail terms for two years, ordering each to complete 180 hours’ unpaid work and pay £750 compensation. “This was a disgraceful assault,” said the judge, who added of the victims: “It must have been an extremely traumatic experience for them.”

https://www.cumbriacrack.com/2019/0...isgraceful-carlisle-attack-are-spared-prison/

Last edited:
It could be spent on a variety of things ..
A Grainfather.
A nice fishing rod.
Holiday.
Or...an "I'll do anything for money nutcase..."

I would go for the Grainfather and fishing rod the nutcase might just do one with your cash and unless you are a bigger nutcase its unlikely you will see him or it again. :laugh8:

Cost cutting. I think prison should be almost reserved for exclusively violent offences, debt/petty theft/drug possession etc shouldn't result in jail time without extenuating circumstances involving violence. This should free up spaces to bang up anybody who uses violence against others.

debt/petty theft/drug possession etc shouldn't result in jail time

I haven't done any research but having read the news daily over the last few months i think that is already the way it has gone.

I am reminded of the law code of the Greek King Draco - from whom we get the terminology "Draconian punishment".
Under Draco's legal code, the punishment for almost all offences was just death.
One of his more liberally minded underlings did once challenge him on the grounds that it really was obvious to any right minded person that some offences were worse than others.
After some thought, Draco was forced to concede that, indeed, some offences were worse than others. However, he could not think up a punishment worse than death, so death it was.

Well, there you go. A shame that Draco was "intellectually challenged", as you might say these days. I'm surprised that none of his less liberally-minded underlings pointed out that, whilst death was a very bad punishment, there were far harsher options. Perpetual torture would surely fit the bill. If you are constantly in huge pain then death becomes a release rather than a punishment.
Maybe this would be a great option - threatening miscreants with super-harsh penalties. Free up the prisons. Maybe you wouldn't have to perform many public executions. After all, they would only be a warning - no way could they become a spectacle offering "entertainment" surely??
But wait.... Hasn't this been tried, some time ago?? I'll obviously have to look into the history of this to see if it worked................

For Hayhow, of Lingmoor Way, Carlisle, the offence was said to be “out of character”, while Graham, of Trafalgar Street, Carlisle, had been experiencing a “dip in his life” at the time.

Poor little lambs. My heart goes out to 'em. If anything, they're the real victims here!

Back