Wychwood Hobgoblin bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pfeffer

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I stumbled across some of the Wychwood Hobgoblin bottles here in the Netherlands. To be honest, those bottles are absolutely gorgeous. That's why I set my mind on emptying some of these.

Unfortunately I'm not that much of an UK ale drinker, so I'm not sure if I'll like the beer. So basically I'd like to source about 20 bottles for bottling purposes, if I do like the beer it's a plus. Unfortunately you can only get the ale here, I'd rather have the porter or golden.. But those same to be rare.

1. Are those bottles suitable to be used for Fizzy belgian beer or are the bottles to thin?
2. Are those standard 26mm crowns
3. Does anyone know a good retailer in the Cambridge (preferably Chesterford or Fulbourn area) that sells these for a normal price?

Unfortunately they are 3,65 each at my side of the Northsea, which I find a bit steep for a pint.

To answer your questions as best as I can.

1. No reason why not - I've got a few and been using them for various beers.
2. Yes
3. Pretty much ALL UK supermarkets seem to stock Wychwoods - especially Hobgoblin. Morrisons, ASDA etc.

The beer is cheap over here - but I'm not really a fan.

1) Yup, should take it no problem. I've had gushers in them but never bombs.
2) Yeah, they take standard 26mm crown caps, but most twin-leaver cappers struggle with them, and some don't work at all on them. Bench cappers, on the other hand, handle them no problem.
3) ASDA do them 4 for �£5 is the cheapest in Cambridge that I know of. The closest to Illumina to get them cheap would be the Tesco in Saffron Walden, 4 for �£6.

Haha, how in the world do you know I work for those chaps? Perhaps a coworker?

On another thread you said you worked for one of the big sequencing companies and that you commute to Cambridge for work sometimes. As you are based in the Netherlands, Illumina was the only one that fit. Incidentally, I work down the road from the Chesterford Research Park, at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We can grab a beer next time you're around if you like.

Haha might take you up on that one. One of the guys there is an ale enthousiast and still does not believe I do not fancy british Ales. His argument is that I haven't tried a good, cask ale yet. So I'm afraid I'll be dragged through Cambridge anyway (nice city by the way, I only imagined they'd have strawberries at strawberry fair..). You don't happen to work for Sanger do you?

Haha might take you up on that one. One of the guys there is an ale enthousiast and still does not believe I do not fancy british Ales. His argument is that I haven't tried a good, cask ale yet. So I'm afraid I'll be dragged through Cambridge anyway (nice city by the way, I only imagined they'd have strawberries at strawberry fair..). You don't happen to work for Sanger do you?

No, I'm at the EBI next to it.

Hob goblin is an awesome drop. One of my favourites.

As for capping. If you have a bench capper then no worries, if you have a metal arm capper (like me) then you better have some muscles cause it takes some doing and my capper dents the cap but keeps it sealed. If you have aplastic arm capper from wilko's then don't even bother. Unfortunately the plastic cappers just don't work on hob goblin.

Just as a tester coz I haven't drink for nearly two years..and I fancy one..it is Christmas anyways

Looking fwd to trying them...
But only a bottle a nite...honest
I was disappointed with Gold last time I had it- it was nice enough, just nothing special. I think they've changed the recipe because when it first came out (or when I first became aware of it, about 18 months earlier) I absolutely loved it and it was bursting with Nelson Sauvin aroma and flavour. Someone on here suggested it was maybe to do with the price of NS hops increasing.

I was disappointed with Gold last time I had it- it was nice enough, just nothing special. I think they've changed the recipe because when it first came out (or when I first became aware of it, about 18 months earlier) I absolutely loved it and it was bursting with Nelson Sauvin aroma and flavour. Someone on here suggested it was maybe to do with the price of NS hops increasing.

Aye I was disappointed last nite! With the gold specially...ok but with the price I'd rather make my own...at least I can work on it...
Had a half of HobGoblin in a pub the other day! And this one is light and the hops stranded out!! Not like the ruby etc...different beer I know! Lol

I wasn't as fond of the ordinary Hobgoblin, but I like Hobgoblin Gold and King Goblin is pretty nice. I have a collection of each of the bottles including the hallowe'en bottle. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wychwood bottles kill anything other than the sturdiest of bottle cappers.

I do love the odd bottle of king goblin but I don't re-use their bottles for my Homebrew.

Back