XL Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm after some feedback on a recipe i've come up with if you would please guys... :thumb:

I'm after a nice easy drinking Bitter with hopefully a complex malt taste:

27 IBU

Pale 90%
Crystal 3%
Amber 3%
Wheat Malt 3%
Choc Malt 1%

Challenger 90 mins to 20 IBU
Goldings 15 mins to 7 IBU

Dry Hop 5g Goldings (per 19L keg)

Sod it - i'm going for it :grin:

It'll be called "XL Bitter" as it was my parents Ruby wedding anniversary last week and the Roman Numerals for 40 work quite nicely :D

So I'll fit this in over 2 evenings (hopefully tomorrow & Thursday) while doing some evening work .... Grrrrr :(

60L Brewlength
Target OG 1.040
Target IBU 27
BHE 80%

9kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
300g Amber Malt
300g Crystal Malt
300g Wheat Malt
100g Chocolate Malt

67c Mash for 90 Mins

Challenger to 20 IBU for 90 mins
Goldings to 7 IBU for 15 mins
Goldings 30g added at 80c steeped for 15 mins

Using s04 to ferment

Bru4u said:
It'll make the work easier, stupid work thing, any chance of some photiegraphs :thumb:

Yeah I'm sure I can add a few piccy's :thumb: don't expect anything like your set up though :D (gravity is my friend) :lol:

Cheers - mash liquor just coming up to temp :thumb:

Shame i'm logged into work too :(

Wez said:
Shame i'm logged into work too :(

Its amazing how our perception of these things changes with the time of day. When this happens in the morning or afternoon its a good thing as you would be "Working from Home" but in the evening its a real annoyance. :roll:

Cheers - Mash on at 7pm 67.5c (I love that smell)

Annual appraisal writing now :roll:

If you want a big malt profile use some Munich, and drop the Amber . . . Replace some of the crystal with Caragold
Bugger . . . too late :lol:

Have a good one :cheers:

Nice to see you're updating your blog at last :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Aleman :lol:

Smod - yeah about time too eh!

Will try to get a few more regular posts on there now :oops:

I just thought moderators started them and never did anything with them! At least yours gave me some reading, not to mentions others that are still blank even though they have said many times in the past about doing them! So I read! :eek:

I just thought moderators started them and never did anything with them! At least yours gave me some reading, not to mentions others that are still blank even though they have said many times in the past about doing them! So I read!

:lol: :lol:

All done for tonight - stopped sparging at 1.020 but hadn't reached my sugar points target of 2856 ended up collecting 42.5L equating to 2590 sugar points so missed by 266 points.

I think it may be because 2/3rds of the pale was from an old sack :hmm:

I should still end up at around 1.038 (I think) which will be OK as I'm after a session bitter.

Will boil this up tomorrow night.

Topped up to 80L preboil, gravity 1.033 I may shorten brewlength to hit 1.042 :)

60g of 7.1%aa Challenger weighed out and ready to go in :thumb:

Back