Yeast isn't reacting quite right

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did mix it in gently into the top, I'm not sure if that's wise or not, and I had checked the seals before doing it, but yes, it was a little bit more about gut instinct rather than science; I'll ponder further.

Interesting to hear that you also became obsessed with the fermentation process, I think it gets a point where it's wise to leave it alone, set a rough date on the calendar to check in on it and go from there. It add's unnecessary stress sticking to these times giving in the recipes, I think I've found that out pretty quick haha.
I'll definitely keep updating the thread following what (if any) final product I get!

There's no stress involved, and I'm not too bothered about the kit advice, compared to the day job it's simple geeky fun. I enjoy getting into things, l even have a spread sheet going with dates, numbers for gravity and temps, with observation notes.

Whilst I am in no rush, equally, I like the idea of a solid and efficient fermentation, without tainted flavour.

I also do a lot of sourdough bread, so am kind of into adventures with yeast at the moment, god I am middle aged. 😂

There's no stress involved, and I'm not too bothered about the kit advice, compared to the day job it's simple geeky fun. I enjoy getting into things, l even have a spread sheet going with dates, numbers for gravity and temps, with observation notes.

Whilst I am in no rush, equally, I like the idea of a solid and efficient fermentation, without tainted flavour.

I also do a lot of sourdough bread, so am kind of into adventures with yeast at the moment, god I am middle aged. 😂
You know what is funny? I am also loking at a sourdough starter haha, I want to make some soughdough foccacia... I disgress
Anyway, it seems this brew has taken my full attention, I think you're right, there is not stress involved haha :D

@ExcessPixels , saying that, I would be a bit p’d off if I had a fermentation screw up and had to bin it, but in future I probably won’t stress so much about adding yeast nutrient unless the gravity readings stall too high for longer. I think I have a room with almost optimum conditions for beer brewing, so will see what happens on the next one. I bought Wilko’s Classic Lager yesterday in Stroud, I will probably brew it at the end of the month so it’s ready when my son’s back from uni for Christmas. Sourdough baguettes happening today, moving on a bit from artisan boules, which I have dialled since starting making in the first lockdown.

Thread departure warning...

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_141311.jpg
    IMG_20201115_141311.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201115_141249.jpg
    IMG_20201115_141249.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 50
@ExcessPixels , saying that, I would be a bit p’d off if I had a fermentation screw up and had to bin it, but in future I probably won’t stress so much about adding yeast nutrient unless the gravity readings stall too high for longer. I think I have a room with almost optimum conditions for beer brewing, so will see what happens on the next one. I bought Wilko’s Classic Lager yesterday in Stroud, I will probably brew it at the end of the month so it’s ready when my son’s back from uni for Christmas. Sourdough baguettes happening today, moving on a bit from artisan boules, which I have dialled since starting making in the first lockdown.
Sounds like a smashing idea, one thing I have realised here is that Wilko do a range of beer making equipment, which I would have never have thought haha!
Loving the bread, I'm baking a focaccia bread at the moment.

As promised, the secondary fermentation finished on 12th December, I've let it go a bit longer and I bet even longer would improve the taste again.
I've found the brew to be fairly light and sweet and, understandably, slightly yeasty. However, like I've said before in this thread, I've already learnt a lot and I am ready to get into my next brew in the new year.

Thanks for everyone's help on here!

Attachments

• tempImaged9sHcN.png
    tempImaged9sHcN.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6740.jpg
    IMG_6740.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back